Well, I am very aware of the "I want to justify this purchase- So I hear a difference" phenomenon, but I really think there is a difference in the depth, soundstage and separation of the the instruments between the Redbook & SACD Stereo versions of what I have bought so far. (Goobye Yellow Brick Road, Buena Vista Social Club, Gaucho, Tommy, Blackjack David, Blonde on Blonde, Pet Sounds, Blue Trane, ect...)
To me it is all in the small details. Nails on the strings, clarity of the cymbals, the space of the room.
I will admit that the difference is not huge, but to music that matters (to me), and music that I have listened to a lot, I think that there is a very real difference that I can hear.
Sort of like the difference between the 60s and other well-made speakers that sound similar. Not always right in your face apparent differences, just subtle differences that make you sit up after a while and smile.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900