>>In various forums I have read that the sub level should then be adjusted from +1.0 to +3.0dB louder than the mains. Does this mean that I should be setting the sub level in a range from +4.5 to 6.0dB or does that mean adding +1.0 to +3.0dB to zero?

I haven't heard this advice before but it would definitely mean adding to zero, not to 4.5-6. I"m guessing this is a way to compensate for the microphone not having totally flat frequency response at low frequencies, just a guess though.

>>Also, when I ran MCACC I had set my crossover to 80Hz but that sounded rather harsh so I upped it to 100Hz & the sound improved dramatically. It sounded like there was a serious dip in output in the mid freqs (a big hole). Why would upping the crossover freq take away the harshness?

I don't understand this one at all, unless you were running the system so loud the amplifier was clipping (doubtful). Doesn't sound normal, suggest you give Axiom a call and get their opinion. I can't think of anything you could be doing wrong that would cause that...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8