Hi sbatch10,

Like everyone said, turn off any Yamaha EQ you may have applied to the VP150. Ravi is correct--it's "sibilance" that you are hearing and the VP150 does not add that to voices, spoken or sung. The VP150 is very neutral and will reproduce any frequency anomalies of TV microphones. Many mikes have "presence" peaks in the midrange/treble (some lavalier mikes are especially rotten), put there to add intelligibility when the dialog is reproduced over typically crummy TV speakers. A signal like that will sound lousy when played back over a neutral hi-fi speaker.

If the signal is high quality, it will be natural-sounding on a VP150. I've generally found the dialog recording on recent HD drama series broadcast in Dolby Digital to be quite good--I watched "Law&Order, Criminal Intent" last night, and the dialog recording was very good--clear and natural.

I also watched part of an HD opera broadcast in Dolby Digital on Sunday. The miking and singing voices were very natural. As an example of just how bad miking can be, I happened to have my CD mega-changer on Random, and a disc came up--"The Best of Stevie Wonder." I could not believe how awful his vocal sounded--extreme EQ had been appplied to make his voice heavily treble and aggressive. I went off Random and played other tracks on the CD, which varied a lot in sound quality from track to track.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)