The H2 is built on the Silerado platform, with many beefed up components. The original H1, and of course the military versions were much tougher than this domesticated version.

Something that struck me reading this thread: The American and Imported comments. Keep in mind that many of the auto mfg'ers have business units within them that are other mfg'ers. For example, Ford owns Jaguar. The ideas and concepts that emerge from these units is now being shared through out the company. Having worked in a tier supplier for many years, I have seen this "transition" take place. Many of the vehicles "manufactured/assembled" in North America take their roots (and many parts, designs and such) from other companies - most times foreign to North America.

My personal opinions? I do not like the look of the 300, like the 500, and think the Magnum is simply a beefy station wagon!!!
I think the mfg'ers are getting the message that people want something that catches their attention...a la the Crossfire. I spent a lot of time in Chrysler's Arizona proving grounds with the company (designing data acq. systems...) and was amazed at the number of "concept" cars roaming around!

The farthest most SUV's go off road is the driveway.