Hey, Oak244.

There are a few well-built 6.1 receivers in your price range that can component-video switch. Offhand, the Denon 1803 would be a fine choice, or the 2802 if you can find it cheap. Marantz receivers are well-liked, and Onkyo also has a 6.1 model. I honestly doubt you'll find much difference in performance from one model to the other at this price point, and all 3 brands are a cut above the usual big-box stuff.

The Outlaw 1050 is an older 6.1 receiver that's $499 US (B-stock is often available for less). It has a better build quality and musical performance than the Japanese fare. It doesn't have DPL2/Neo6 or DTS-ES (it uses a proprietary 6.1 decoding chip rather than DolbyEX), but has a few ambience modes that do the trick. It's downside is that it doesn't do component switching, only S-video switching. The company has similar customer service to Axiom, and I've yet to read about anybody being unhappy with purchasing it.

Arcam is a British company that has two receivers, the AVR100 and AVR200. The AVR100 isn't manufactured anymore, but can probably be found for about 800 USD if you knew where to look. The AVR200 is about 1100 USD, well out of your price range. Arcam's receivers don't do 6.1 or component switch, so they wouldn't suit your needs very well. The Arcam units' claims to fame are a high-end build quality and fantastic sound with music, night-and-day superior to mid-priced Japanese receivers.

Check out reviews at audiovideoreviews.com, or outlawaudio.com for reviews of the 1050.

If the Marantz is a good price (I don't know what it goes for these days), go for it and don't look back.