In reply to:

Do you think comparing these two brands is reasonable, they are so different is design.

Right. As I said, I was clearly (and intentionally) comparing apples with oranges. Not necessarily with respect to price range (the Axioms should be compared with significantly more expensive speakers anyway, right?), but in terms of fundamental driver design. Nevertheless, it was truly interesting "sensory endeavor" and learning experience!

In reply to:

I would think the the Maggies would win your review hands down??

As you see in my review, not necessarily. To me, they each had pluses and minuses. What really impressed me was the fact that both speakers were, despite their totally different designs, extremely fine, successfully designed products.

I do not consider the Magnepan as one of those snobby, over-priced, "high-end" brands. In fact, their entry-level model sells exclusively online for $550. The price of the MG12 I reviewed is merely $1100/pair or so, a bargain depending on your taste.

However, costing over $4K a pair, you still have to consider that the Maggie 3.6's are in a different league, and they are HUGE, too! But if I have $4K to spend on stereo speakers, and I have a room that can optimally accommodate them, I would probably go for the Maggies over dynamic speakers in the same price range.

In reply to:

A friend of is running Palladium mono-blocks with an AR Preamp, a Creek CD player, with some very expensive Kimber Select cables, and 3.6 Maggies.

Gosh! Here is another Kimber aficionado... LOL

Cheers!