Yes, I've tried it. Sounded good to me. I wired them in series, since that's supposedly safer with an amp not rated for 4ohm outputs (as my Kenwood VR-6070 is not). However, I've since moved from pseudo-7.1 to real 7.1, by connecting the two back surround pre-outs to an external amp (which is an old receiver).

These terms "pseudo 7.1" and "real 7.1" don't have a standard agreed on sense, but I think they are reasonable ways of describing the describing the difference between running two speakers off one receiver amp and having two independently controllable signals going to the two back surrounds. I think I am disagreeing with JohnK, here. With a real 7.1 setup, the distances and volumes for the back surrounds can be set separately, and, even though there is at most one discrete source channel being played, the two signals are decorrelated. Since my back surround speakers are in fact at different distances from my listening position, it's useful to me to be able to set their volumes and distances separately.

Greg
VP180, M80s, M22s, QS8(4), CSW S305s, EP500, Pioneer VSX-90
M2i, M3(2), Pio vsx-1020