I just had an idea yesterday and was wondering if anybody has done it before. I have a 7.1 setup with M60 / VP150 in the front and 2 pairs QS8's in the sides/back. Works wonderful for both movies and music and using Dolby PLIIx or NEO:6 I can use all 7 speakers and enjoy it. When using DVD-Audio with 7.1 analog inputs I can only have 5 channels active and the backs are silent (actually hissing a bit - the inputs are open).
Now my side speakers are a bit ahead of the seating first row and ideally I would like to move them back. So I was thinking of bridging the sides and backs inputs on the reciever inputs (Y-cables or something similar) so that the surround signal is sent to both the sides and backs. This will effectively move the sides a bit to the back and should provide a wider sweet spot. Possibly the directionality will suffer a tad but that should not be a big issue in a fairly small room.
What do you think? It should not take too long to do the experiment, but the stores are closed for Victoria Day and I'll have to wait till tomorrow . I will post the results.
V.