I have been looking at a lot of receiver, pre processor and amplifier specifications trying to assess what the fundamental differences may be as a function of price.

The receiver versus the amplifier (as part of seperates) is rather straight forward. I think that we have researched some "ground truth" on how receiver amplifiers are rated (good old FTC spec and 1/8 power supplies). For the seperate amplifiers, I think that all channels rated/ tested simultaneoulsy in RMS power is the key factor. The comparison between the receiver and separate amplifier is an apples to peaches comparison, I realize, but I understand the differences.

But, what do you look for in comparison for the pre processor? Most of the receivers seem to have all the features of the pre processors, maybe more features when you consider XM radio, HDMI switching, software upgradability, and IEEE ports.

I was looking at the new Yahama RX-V4600 receiver. It seems to have more features than any pre processor in the $1000 - $2500 range. It appears that you could buy the Yahama and buy a 5 channel, 200 watt separate amp and have a "killer" system for about the same price as the new Denon 4806 or less than some of the name brand separates.

What am I missing here??????

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV