Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: M60ti's audition finally. Impressions Very lo
#101119 07/02/05 08:18 PM
local
local
You definitely like to try out speakers. I am kind of lazy myself, I listened to some stuff at CC and BB and was not impressed, read a lot of reviews and said "Hell with it, if they suck I will send them back". I also went to a couple of "high end" shops but the prices and the attitudes were a real turn off. I wound up with the M80's and I actually boost the treble a little and my ears have yet to bleed, imagine that! I never noticed a problem with sibilance either. I think these are the best speakers I have ever heard personally, and would pull a Tharkun if I had the money. I guess the money factor was a issue for me, I can't justify spending more than 5 or 600 on a speaker no matter how good they are at this financial point in my life, and maybe never will anyway. Be sure to post and let us know what you wind up with, sounds like you will be pretty well informed. Thanks for the CD ideas too. I am making a list of cd's that people use to test music and am going to start buying or at least listening to a lot of new music I have never listened to before. There are so many different kinds of music and different artists in each category it is hard to just pick one at random and have it be something you like. Thanks for the ideas.

M80ti's, VP150, QS8's
Re: M60ti's audition finally. Impressions Very long
#101120 07/02/05 09:32 PM
T
buff
buff
T
oz350Oz,

I have found HDCDs to sound very transparent on regular 16 bit decoders, however I agree they often sound thin. Maybe we have different ideas about the term transparent. To me, if refers more to the midrange and top end than the bass. Not that bass can't be transparent, it's just that bass transparancy comes from cues that are higher in the frequency range (skin of the drum, fingers on strings, etc.) 20 bit decoding always sounds much richer to me. Also I think dedicated cd players typically have more drive (16 or 20 bit) than the common dvd player.

#101121 07/03/05 12:44 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

To me, if refers more to the midrange and top end than the bass. Not that bass can't be transparent, it's just that bass transparancy comes from cues that are higher in the frequency range (skin of the drum, fingers on strings, etc.)

In reply to:

Tig
What i meant was the people behind HDCD have said (and I'm para-phrasing here) Don't worry if you see the HDCD label on a CD and you don't have the hardware that decodes HDCD format. The disc will play on machines that decode 16 bit and you won't hear any difference. The disc I played at Billy's sounded thin and almost anemic. Yet when I play that disc or any of my HDCD's on my Music Hall they sound great.

When I think of transparency in terms of a speaker I think that nothing about the limitations of the speaker,cross over,enclosure,grill or for that matter the mastering during the original recording session etc. etc, gets in the way of the sound. We all have our perception of what an instrument or a live show sounds like. If we want total transparency then we want the sound of our speaker to have... well no... actually we don't want our speaker to have any sound at all. We want no color or brand characteristic whatsoever. When I listen I want to close my eyes and have the speaker box disappear. That is transparency.

What you were referring to, skin of the drum and fingers sliding across the fret board are what I refer to as detailed. The M60's to me are very detailed speakers. Transparency on the other hand is (to me anyway) an absolute lack of detail. It's an absence of anything at all. I don't know if that even makes sense. Transparency in a recording or in a CD or HDCD player I can only explain this way. Let me take classical because it is the best example. You know when there are extreme quiet passages or long pauses where there is no music or a slow build up of music. Most electronics wil have noise audible in those sections. It can be very noticeable if you use good headphones. I have heard those quiet passages referred to as black space. The darker that black space is the more transparent the recording or the components are. The noise I'm referring to is unwanted noise. A live recording that contains the sounds of the hall and the occasional cough or foot kicking a mike stand can still be be very transparent.

That said, I love transparency in my speakers and I love detail in them as well. Axiom has both. Anyway I am not an authority on any of this. This is strictly my take on things.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#101122 07/03/05 12:48 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

pull a Tharkun if I had the money

In reply to:

Sorry?

#101123 07/03/05 12:53 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Jack
Second time mentioning that. I like her sound. I'll jhave to get that. But I promise I won't listen to it right away.

#101124 07/03/05 12:58 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Tharkun ( Dennis ) runs 5 M80s and 2 QS8s in his system.I almost forgot,he also has 2 EP 600s.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#101125 07/03/05 01:03 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
That's just another reason I like these forums. We can help each other steer clear of bad products. Let's not forget how many times do these labels have to profit from basically the same performance. Vinyl,8 track, cassette,cd, sacd, dvd. Ok, yeah so what, I'm old enough to remember and have spent my hard earned cash on 8 track. Some of those I had to buy 3 times just because the deck ate the tape. God I love CD's
oz

#101126 07/03/05 01:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Sorry?

Heh Heh! Tharkun, is the screen name of a very nice member of the forum named Dennis who has a remarkable Axiom system consisting of 2 M80s for the left and right manis, 1 M80 for a center channel, 2 QS8s for surrounds, and 2 M80s for rear surrounds. He tops that off with 2, count 'em, TWO, EP600 subwoofers. We are all convinced that the next California earthquake will be caused by Dennis playing the 1812 Overture at his normal listening volume.

EDIT: Rick has faster (but fatter) fingers than I do. Cut me some slack cuz I included a photo.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#101127 07/03/05 01:10 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Holey Eardrum Batman

#101128 07/03/05 01:11 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I was just to lazy to look for the pics .Ya got to give Jack credit,I just hope my fingers still work when I get as old as him

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup