Millenia ax 1.5 - Old/New
#1088 01/22/02 05:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4 years ago I received a pair of AX 1.5 speakers from my brother for a house warming gift. At the time, I did not have a system to put them with and with all the expenses of a first house and a couple kids, I could not afford to buy a system until this year. The speakers have sat in the box, in a dry area of the house, for the past 4 years.

I just bought the Yamaha AX596 integrated amp (100w per channel), and will be using it to power the ax1.5s.

I have been warned by a couple people to take it easy on the speakers for a while since they may need to be broken in slowly, given the amount of time they were not used for. Can anyone tell me if there is truth to this, and if so, what measures should I take to ensure I do not damage the speakers prematurely.

Thanks in advance,

Kaz

Re: Millenia ax 1.5 - Old/New
#1089 01/22/02 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There is an age old debate about break in periods, and if they are required at all. In my opinion (key phrase), all equipment requires a break in period. The amount of time varies by piece. Speakers are perhaps the pieces requiring, and will benefit the most. I would estimate that approx 5+ hours of background music volume levels will adequately acheive this. Do not get heavy handed with the volume control until after this initial period.

One thing to look for before hand is condition of the speakers. The AX line had a less rigid surround than todays Axioms. I have a pair of AX 3's and I had to replace the drivers, as the surrounds separated from the cones. This was during use, and was a gradual thing. Luckily they (AX lines came with a "Lifetime Warranty", and Axiom replaced the drivers at no cost. If memory serves, there were 2 modelsof AX 1.5, a bookshelf, and a regular model. The height was about 4-5 inches less for the bookshelf, but I beleive they used the same components.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1090 01/22/02 09:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kaz, I don't know where the hell people get this idea that speakers need to be broken in. Some audiophiles are so over the edge that they athropomorphize their freaking components. In other words they treat their speakers like they would their tendons and muscles were they running the 100 metres.

Get real folks! A piece of magnet and some paper/silicone does not need to stretch out to work. So my answer is, NO, you don't need to break in speakers. It's a big myth.

#1091 01/22/02 10:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...and a car engine is made of metal, but it needs to break in! The dealers tell you that!

Guys, he is probably a flat earth, Pioneer is the best sort.

#1092 01/23/02 03:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well if nothing else, Kaz, you have both sides of this issue covered. I don't agree with the 'anonymous" posts, but they have every right to express their opinions. I think if you check some of the other posts, you can tell that Ian also believes in a break in period of a few hours.

The comment that these are simply speakers is wrong. They are actually electrical motors: they move the cones in and out based on electrical signals following electro magnetic principles. Materials used in them does require time to loose some of the properties imposed upon it by manufacturing. In your case these have had no real use for sometime, and things can and will deteriorate.

I think the attack on my post missed my opening ( it is a debated issue in hifi for some time.) and qualifying the comments (in my opinion).
My background is such that I have spent considerable time working, playing and enjoying this industry. I think if you read some of my other posts, you will see were I am coming from.

So the answer seems to be an unqualified ........

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020