Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My fiancee just took over the room!!!!!!
#11300 05/24/03 03:26 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I just setup the new front projector Infocus X1 with the Home Theater setup and HTPC and she just took over the remote. She is currently player her old Kung-Fu chinese movies of which I do not understand and she won't give up the chair and remote!!!!!
Picked up the Infocus X1, a custom bracket and cables on a whim from Madarax a AVSFORUM user also is a Infocus Rep. He even delivered it to my door, cheaper than any price I found in Canada. It is fantastic!!!! specially with a HTPC setup.
So far 75" diagonal picture on a 60" x 60" Bretford Matte White screen. Projector at 8.5 feet. Sitting position at 14 feet. Settings based on:
http://www.htprojectors.com/reviews/140403/infocus7en.htm
- no chicken wire from 7 feet onwards. Slight chicken wire at 5.5 feet. Projector at 8.5 feet
- no rainbow issues yet, not looking for it
- grey areas are dark enough
- TV is very watchable even with task lights on at sitting position
- projector nice and reletively quiet

I still need to wait out the bulb till it works its way towards consistent operating levels and then I will tweak and do the AVIA video calibration setup. Now I know what all you guys have been experiencing with a full HT setup.

Saturn

Re: My fiancee just took over the room!!!!!!
#11301 05/24/03 05:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Saturn,

My cordial welcome to the Front Projectordom!!!

A couple of advice for you, from a guy who entered the Kingdom two months earlier:

(1) IMO, you are projecting too conservatively; I mean, too small. The THX Home recommendations dictate that, for a 14-feet viewing distance, you should have about 120"-diagonal. I would go at least 100"-diagonal. Believe me, the WOW factor of a bigger screen is undeniable!

(2) Do not wait! Go ahead and calibrate your projector with AVIA. It is in fact soooo easy that once you familiarize yourself with the procedures, it will take no more than 5 minutes. It will not be cumbersome at all even to do it once a month. You will see an appreciable improvement of picture quality after the calibration. The calibration is so trivial it won't worth the wait!

BTW, is your fiancee Chinese or what?

#11302 05/24/03 06:14 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Who's wearing the pants in this relationship, Saturn? We need the control of the remote in relationships because it's about the only thing we CAN control!

#11303 05/24/03 06:54 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the tip Sushi. The only problem with the bigger screen is that I have to raise the screen a little higher than the speakers. Right now its a drop down upside down with it pulled up. Temp place right now and I don't wanna mount it till I move to the new place.
Couldn't calibrate tonight since the you know who had to finish 2 chapters of sword killing and curruption of Kings in China way back when. She is Chinese/Vietnamese.

I had time after but had synching problems with sound and WinDVD Platinum. Tried out the new NVDVD and WOW!!!!! IT totally leaves WinDVD behind. The picture is incredible and the sound syncs. Crisper and more film like.

Semi: you have to try NVdvd. It works well with the Radeon. The error correction is outstanding on this software. With DScaler and WinDVD hard to tell which is better. But with WinDVd vs NVDvd big gaaaapppp!!!!!. I havent tried the Sonic player everyone is using and talking about. Can't get a hold of working non trial copy.

Saturn

I tried to grab the remote. She threw the empty DVd box at me almost hit the screen. I'll do it when shes not around.

#11304 05/24/03 07:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I tried to grab the remote. She threw the empty DVd box at me almost hit the screen.

In the unlikely event that you break up with her, I suggest you try to find a Japanese or Korean woman (preferably raised in their native land). They do understand male supremacy. HAHAHA...

#11305 05/24/03 01:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh sushi,
that's just terrible.
Very true i believe but terrible.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#11306 05/24/03 02:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ah Saturn.
Maybe the next time i'm through TO we can gang up on the little woman and run through hours of trials on the new system that she simply would not be interested in hanging around for.

My front projection desires will have to wait for a couple of years yet but the HPTC is starting to sound more interesting.

#11307 05/24/03 02:41 PM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Sushi: Thats just bad!!!!! But it does have it merits.
I have gone out with a Korean before. She was so docile that everything was "Yes honey. Yes Dear" It boring after while. I like a challenge.

Chess: If you are in TO give me a buzz and have freshly made Spring rolls and Chicken curry on rice. Lets see if you can get away with it with the preamble. She is this petite 5'0" asia woman with this low low powerful Toni Braxton voice. When she was briskly walking around Eaton center 2 police officers were walking too slowly. She just boomed out "Excuse me please!" The two officer parted quickly like the red sea and she strode between them. One officer said "Wow its just a little girl!" And then she just gave them this "Don't mess with this bitch look" as she strode away.

The X1 projector, cables and custom mount was all under $1500 before taxes so it wasnt much of the pocket gouger. Its definitely the cheapest priced projector that rivals projectors that are $2500 (Sanyo PLV-Z1) or close to $3000 (Panny L300U). Color and quality is great. Some irritation of the rainbow part but that can be rectified by using a better player ie NVDVD. When I started using WinDVd or PowerDVd I saw this quick appearing/disappear tiny rainbows or haloes fron highly contrasted object or subtitles. But when I tried out the NVDVD I did not notice them as much or my brain was just getting used to it. Either way the last movie I watched last night was great. HTPC software DVD image via VGA versus DVD player composite to HTPC was night and day. More detail on HTPC software DVD. I still have to pick up a component cable to check the quality of progressive component to S-video of Projector which will kick in the Farouja chip on the projector. HTPC on the X1 bypasses the Farouja chip since the VGA port accepts progressive signals. Based on my findings I will see which will produce a better picture.
HTPC was a neat project. If you build one it might be better going for the regular PC route with AGP slot and use a Radeon card. My first attempt with the tiny EPIA board with built-in VGA and motion compensation was a bit underpowered and the VGA output was less than desirable and it didn't have a AGP slot. I did build up another small box but it did have a AGP slot. Have fun with the HTPC.

Saturn

#11308 05/24/03 05:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wouldn't complain too much about her taking over. If she's trying to take over she must like all of the HT equipment. Better then a fiancee that says she doesn't want speakers, big TV, etc in the house because they don't look nice.

#11309 05/24/03 05:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Saturn, do you plan to permanently install the component and/or S-video cables as well? If so, I recommend the Mogami-brand cables from svideo.com. I run 75 feet of their component and S-video cables, without any visible loss of image quality. They are deceivingly thin but the electrical specs are no inferior to thicker cables. Their flexibility really helps on-wall installation using raceways such as the Cordmate II. The prices are "right," too!

#11310 05/24/03 10:08 PM
old hand
old hand
I am thinking about doing a ceiling mount rear projection HT setup in my basement. We have started the development of my walkout, my HT room will be 20' x' 40', and there is a 15'x 20' 'storage' room behind it which could house the rear projector.

Has anyone here done a rear setup? Where is a good place to go to find forums discussing the rear projector HT setups?

#11311 05/25/03 12:53 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hey Sushi you a link for where I can find those cables?

Thanks

Saturn

#11312 05/25/03 01:34 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sushi may be taking a break, Sat, so here .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#11313 05/25/03 06:13 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks sir.

#11314 05/25/03 03:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Geez, those cable prices are really quite good.
The longer you buy the better the price.
I might consider buying a whole new set of cables so i can finally move my audio components off the side and allow for some shifting room with the speakers next to the tv.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020