Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: XM Radio
#113993 10/26/05 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have directv, you'll get XM channels on Nov 15 too.

#113994 10/26/05 10:39 PM
shareholder in the making
oh, that's sweet -- not that I listen to radio much.

#113995 10/26/05 11:40 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Me too, not too much time to listent to radio. I constantly buy CDs and I have a hard time catching up with listening them all in my car (NIssan Altima with Bose speakers as well) or in my Rotel/Axiom stereo. I actually enjoy my car stereo, but again, what did I have before I bought this car? a tape player LOL.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
#113996 10/26/05 11:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have an after market Pro Clarion headunit installed in my 350z. The Clarion is Serius ready thus eliminating the fm modulator. A dedicated tuner plugs into the headunit via a propriety cable. I have had Sirius for about a year now and rarely listen to CD's anymore. I do think the quality is near CD quality. I sometimes think it sounds a little compressed depending on the channel, day, time etc. but mostly it is very goood. I love the programming and had no trouble filling the 18 presets on the headunit. I actually wish it had more presets. But truth be told I listen mostly to 4 stations. These cover jazz, classical, blues and my favorite which is called Serius Disorder. It playes virtually everything and is full of surprizes. It is perfect for me.

For you NY ers. You may remember some of these names who have shows on Sirius.
Meg Griffen (music director)alumni of WPLJ i believe
Les Davis jazz used to be my favorite jazz DJ on WBAI
Dennis Skelsa (sp?) also I believe from WPLJ
David Johansen from the New York Dolls and D.J. and the Harry Smiths
Howard Stern coming in January
Cousin Brucie is doing an oldies show. Jeez I remember him on AM radio when I was a kid. He must be in his late 70's or early 80's. He sounds just like he did back in the day.

These are just a few of the great DJ personalities they have
The programming like I said is great. There are enough channels to satisfy everyone. I have never taken a really nice road trip but I think that would be great. Driving from Atlanta to New York and listening to Sirius Disorder all the way
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#113997 10/27/05 12:00 AM
In reply to:

I have never taken a really nice road trip but I think that would be great

Not that I wasn't looking forward to meeting fellow Axiomites, but one of the highlights of the Axiom picnic for me would have been the 15 hrs (each way) alone in a car with my (then recent) XM unit....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#113998 10/27/05 12:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I've been looking into the Polk XRt12 since It came out, I just can't seem to part with 300 bucks for the tuner and then subscribe to a dedicated 12 buck monthly (for now) charge for the music subscribed to the tuner specifically....rendering me to two subscriptions if I want to continue my XM radio in the vehicles.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#113999 10/27/05 12:19 AM
All this talk of DJs reminds me of how my taste in music was heavily influenced by Jim Laad, a DJ at KLSX (classic rock station) in Los Angeles during the 90s. Tom Petty's song "The Last DJ" was apparently written with him in mind.

#114000 10/27/05 02:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I barely listen to radio at all. In my car, I tune in a local station, that is licensed to a nearby high school, but is privately owned, and plays old stuff from the 30s and 40s. No commercials, and the "jocks" comprise high school students, and elderly volunteers. Most all of them are awful, but I don't mind in the least since I get so much great old music, with minimal interruption.

Jack I am in complete agreement with you on this one! Over the last 5 years or so I've listened to less and less radio. Especially with the rock stations gravitating to the cookie-cutter "nu rock" of Nickelback, Default, et al. The rock station here in Saskatoon plays the same 10 artists constantly throughout the day, most of those 10 albums being 80s rock to make matters worse (no offence to any big fans of the 80s).

The last few months i've started listening to more radio again as I've picked up on a local "community" radio here in Saskatoon. It sounds very similar to your local station, pretty much anyone off the street can DJ an hour or two. Not much for advertising - they run a fundraiser every year. They are a great source of music on the cutting edge though, with a very ecelectic selection. Everything from obscure Bob Dylan to Corb Lund to Hot Hot Heat to spoken word poetry. Very refreshing not to hear the same 20 songs on repeat every day.

CFCR 90.5 FM

It is my understanding that they are switching over to a new transmitter with their fund drive money this year and the goal later this year is to begin webcasting.

"Chickens don't clap."
#114001 10/27/05 05:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jack,

The folks who brought you "Jack" I believe are also the geniuses who offer "Bob"...We have a "Bob"-FM here in Austin, claiming to be owned by a guy named Bob who plays his huge CD / Record collection..."We play anything..." Interesting notion as they primarily play stuff from the 60's forward with most of it being 90's to today...with a smattering of the 60's, 70's and a greater preponderance of the 80's...no offense intended.

If they do "play anything", then why do I constantly hear the same songs everytime I tune it in?

I am also of the old school...where we had stacks to pull from and you made your own format...none of this pre-packaged schlock they broadcast today...

/rant

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters