Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
pioneer vsx-d914k + m50's
#115296 11/08/05 12:16 AM
OP Offline
axiom people - i've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, and i'd first like to compliment all of you. this forum is friendly and informative, especially in the world of HT/audio forums.

i am just beginning to put together my first (semi-serious) HT/audio system. at the moment, i have a pioneer vsx-d914k reciever, which works well with my current setup (too low-quality to mention without being embarrased, other than the reciever). i cannot afford to buy everything at once, but am considering the axiom m50's and v150. the room they're going into is 12 x 20 with no hallways or other openings except the door. most people who post on this board seem to have a much nicer reciever than my D914K, and im wondering if i'd be getting into trouble with the m50's. the last thing i want is to buy a great pair of speakers that sound bad because i dont have a good-enough reciever. unfortunately, i can't really afford to buy both at once... should i upgrade my reciever before even thinking about speakers, or can i safely pull the trigger on the m50's?

i was also wondering if anybody has had any first-hand experience with axiom factory seconds. though they carry the same warranty and are "functionally perfect, " i'm a little hesitant. then again, saving the cash would be nice. thanks

Re: pioneer vsx-d914k + m50's
#115297 11/08/05 01:11 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Greetings, and welcome -

I was cracking up at your username, trying to figure out what mul-escent means. Oh, Mule Scent. Got it. Care to expound?

Your receiver will be beyond fine. It's modern and capable, and will sound great with any Axiom speakers. No worries. You'll love the M50's. I am one of those that believes it is very difficult to hear the difference in solid state electronics without spending quite a bit of money.

If you are facing the 12' wall in your room, you might very well be satisfied with a VP100 instead of the 150.

So a search on Factory Outlet. You'll find that very few people can find any blemish whatsoever on their FO speakers. I certainly could not on either my M60's or QS8's.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#115298 11/08/05 01:39 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Mule, welcome. Your comment about a "much nicer" receiver than your 914 is puzzling since it's very nice indeed and a fine bargain(in audio the old pitch of a salesman pushing overpriced goods, "You get what you pay for", has little application). As Tom indicated, it should be fine in your room with the Axiom speakers that you're considering, and might be the last thing in your setup to consider replacing. It should have more than enough clean power output for your needs.

As to the Axiom factory outlet speakers, the only problem I and most others have had with them is trying to find the slight cosmetic blemish.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#115299 11/08/05 02:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,...um...geez; it's kinda hard to say "Hi" to a username like that and try to keep a straight face.

One thing for sure; if you stick around and continue posting around here(and we sure hope you do)you'll have no problem at all being instantly recognized!!

Anyway......WELCOME!!!!

Speaking of M50s: I have a pair and am extreemly fond of them.

Why??

Because they sound almost exactly like my M3s that I've had for quite a few years now!!

Speaking of M3s....

....I use an M3 as a center channel and find that it mates perfectly with my M50s.

Another good thing(well,...to Me anyway)is the fact that the M3 as center is fairly close to being a full-range speaker, which allows me to cross my speakers over at 60 rather than 80hz.......

.....Strictly a personal preference sort of thing

Again.....Welcome aboard!!!
Rich.

#115300 11/08/05 03:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>If you are facing the 12' wall in your room, you might very well be satisfied with a VP100 instead of the 150.

Tom, is there any chance this should read "if you are facing the 20' wall" ? In other words, if he is fairly close to the main and center speakers then a VP100 would be fine ?

As others have said, yes your receiver will be fine.

I am one of the few people who was actually able to find the flaw in my Factory Outlet QS8s. The mark was really small, perhaps 1/8 inch, just big enough that I would have been PO'd if I found it on a new speaker and expected... well... maybe 10% off

I'm pretty picky about my equipment looking good (although the rest of the house is a bit of a sty) and would go with A stock for the mains, FO for everything else since nobody will ever notice a blemish on any of the other speakers, including me.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082