Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Finally Took the Axiom Plunge
#12060 06/13/03 04:59 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Well after much deliberation and research, I finally placed my order for a new Axion setup today. Got the Epic Grand Master system, but upgraded to the VP150 center. I went with the EP175 sub in the system because it saved me about $125 over the HSU sub that was recommended here, plus I have carpeting. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. That was the only thing I am still questioning about the purchase. I also added the stands for the QS8 surrounds, because my wife doesn't really want them on the wall (my preference). I think she believes I will put too many holes in the wall or something. I am not crazy about the height of the stands, but will listen first before I argue with her. Anyway, I anxiously await the delivery next week, and I will have an empty house from Thursday - Monday to set up and try them out, as my wife and daughters are going to New York to visit relatives VBG!
Thanks to all who gave me advice.
Barry

Re: Finally Took the Axiom Plunge
#12061 06/13/03 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Barry

don't worry about the QS8's on stands. They're the right height and you're advantage is you can move them anywhere you want.

As for the EP175, well, I've heard and preferred the EP350. However, I haven't been able to compare to HSU products.
You won't think the EP175 is bad. If you really don't like it, Axiom will refund you. You could either go for an EP350, or the SVS cube sub, which I hear is excellent.

#12062 06/13/03 06:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i too purchased the stands for the qs8's,as i was told they would be placed in the rear corners of the room. even in the corners, they sound great, you'll see!
dan

#12063 06/14/03 01:33 PM
old hand
old hand
weebo,

I've had the Epic Master system for a little more than a year now, and am completely satisfied with it. Actually, more than satisfied. There are all kinds of choices out there, and this one met all my wants/needs at a very reasonable price without (in my opinion) sacrificing anything. Everyone who has watched movies in our house has been impressed with the overall experience provided by this home theater system.

I use the (older version) QS4 stands, and they work great. They allow you to move your surrounds anywhere you'd like, and are at a good height at their maximum extension. When I'm seated, they are a bit above ear level in my setup.

I would be very surprised if you are anything less than impressed (blown away?) with your new system. Take the time to calibrate everything to get your speakers/sub just right, then grab any and all demo material and have fun. Now that you've made your purchase, you can spend more forum time searching out tweaks or demo material as it is easy to get caught up in the "this speaker or that speaker" discussions on various net forums. Let us know what you think when you get everything set up.

lando

lando
#12064 06/14/03 09:30 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
lando,
I will definitely check in after the system is set up. You mentioned calibrating. Did everyone here calibrate their system with a meter? I have a pretty good ear (I think) and was planning on using that for my calibration. However, I see so many posts about using a sound meter from Radio Shack, I wonder if I'll be missing something if I go the natural route. Glad to hear everyone is happy with their stands though.

#12065 06/15/03 04:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I built my own QS8 stands out of pine, stained them black and put little rubber feet on them for $30. Took awhile though. The stands are great for finding optimal placement, but they are pain in the a$$ to move around. Not like it's hard labor or any thing - just something else to do.

#12066 06/15/03 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I did it by ear and then about 2 months later decided to get a meter. I was off by quite a bit. I had the sub way too loud ( a common mistake when configuring by ear). The other speakers were slightly off, but not by a lot. That could be attributed to the spot I was sitting in at the time. It's amazing how just sliding your seat over about 2 feet can change how the system should be configured to put you in the sweet spot.

#12067 06/15/03 10:34 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yes, as Z points out, it's common that subs set by ear are set way too loud. The main reason is that they want to "hear" the sub after they paid all that money for it. In reality, a sub shouldn't be audible separately; it should give the impression that the other speakers are putting out more bass.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#12068 06/16/03 06:34 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
OK, I'm convinced to get a meter. The sub issue makes sense. I'm not really a big fan of lots of bass (especially for music), so I don't know if I would set it too high, but for another $30 or so, why take a chance.

#12069 06/16/03 06:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
yep...I did it by ear, and then bought a meter. My sub was way too hot - and I don't even like tons of bass, so I can imagine just how hot some people set it!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044