Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Mono blocks + individual volume control by mixer
#127604 02/12/06 08:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

Besides Outlaw, look at Anthem (owned by Paradigm), which has two different lines, as does Parasound. Parasound's Halo line is expensive. With Anthem, it's the "Statement" line that's more expensive.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#127605 02/13/06 07:06 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Also, I have this question. I want to control the volumes individually and swiftly by sliding potentiometers for 10 speakers + 1 subwoofer. I would maybe use a Mackie 16-channel mixer for this.

QUESTION: Where would I interface the mixer for individual speaker volume controls? In-between the incoming audio signal and the preamp/processor? Or in-between the pre/amp processor and the power amplifiers?

I'll admit, I've got a cold and my head is a little (very) hazy... you'd want to use something like the Mackie 1642 to control levels on 10 speakers and a sub? That is, say... in a restaurant to play 5.1 DVD-As between a 5.1 setup in the bar and a 5.0 setup in the restaurant-kind of thing?

You have to do it where you still have it at line level... but where you mix depends on your source and sends. In the case I outlined above, you'd go from the DVD-A player into a pre/pro, which does all the decoding and whatever else you want, then you'd want to go into the board there and then out to the amps.

Of course, you'd then have to find a pre/pro that does balanced XLR outs for each channel including the LFE channel. Might be a tough find.

If I misunderstood what you're looking for, please correct me.

Bren R.

Individual volume control by mix
#127606 02/14/06 07:49 PM
F
frequent flier
frequent flier
F
"I've got a cold and my head is a little (very) hazy..."

Bren, Poor You! But all is fogivebn, immediately and automatically! :~))

"you'd want to use something like the Mackie 1642 to control levels on 10 speakers and a sub?"

Yes.

"That is, say... in a restaurant to play 5.1 DVD-As between a 5.1 setup in the bar and a 5.0 setup in the restaurant-kind of thing?"

No. There is one room with many speakers, I want to control individual volumes of these speakers. The screening room will also be used to spatially create 5.1 and 6.1 type of audio mixes for DVDs and Sony HDCAM tapes, and for that of course the physical mixer is a good idea.

Of coruse, I also will have a 19-inch touchscreen LCD monitor there, so I suppose instead of actual, physical line sliders, this controling business can also be done "virtually" on screen. The line-level would have to be broken by the mixer, or slese if I cna get a pre-amp with a PC-based utility program, I can install this and pehaps run individual volumes through the PC (and the touchscreen).

"You have to do it where you still have it at line level... but where you mix depends on your source and sends. In the case I outlined above, you'd go from the DVD-A player into a pre/pro, which does all the decoding and whatever else you want, then you'd want to go into the board there and then out to the amps."

Gotcha. So, PC or DVD or HDCAM or whatever audio signal N first, but this would go directly to the pre-amp/audio processor. Then, take the individual (decoded and "processed" lines ot from the pre-amp via XLR, run it IN & OUT the Mackie mixer (for the volume control and further eQ, as needed), and then on to the power amps.

Do I have this right, Bren?

"Of course, you'd then have to find a pre/pro that does balanced XLR outs for each channel including the LFE channel. Might be a tough find."

Okay, I swear to you I KNEW what "LFE channel" stands for, I just now forgot it!! Would that be... the bass? Please? Well, I would not buy any pre-amp that does NOT have XLR balanced but only unbalanced RCA connections. On the other hand, the more proper way would be to go via AES/EBU digital via XLR into a digital mixer.

Blackmagic Design now has a PCI-e connected external BOB (break-out box) MULTIBRIDGE STUDIO that actually takes IN and OUT 12-independent channels of AES-EBU D-auio via XLR connections!

"If I misunderstood what you're looking for, please correct me."

Thank you again!

Re: Individual volume control by mix
#127607 02/15/06 02:08 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Bren, Poor You! But all is fogivebn, immediately and automatically! :~))

Thanks!

In reply to:

No. There is one room with many speakers, I want to control individual volumes of these speakers. The screening room will also be used to spatially create 5.1 and 6.1 type of audio mixes for DVDs and Sony HDCAM tapes, and for that of course the physical mixer is a good idea.

Just for my own curiosity, you'd be doubling up some positions?

In reply to:

also be done "virtually" on screen. The line-level would have to be broken by the mixer, or slese if I cna get a pre-amp with a PC-based utility program, I can install this and pehaps run individual volumes through the PC (and the touchscreen).

Sidenote... everytime I get a broadcast video demo and they do the "flying faders" sine wave... I want to slap the demo-er... "gawrsh... h'yuk... them sliders is movin' by themselves in a wave!!!" *grr*

In reply to:

Gotcha. So, PC or DVD or HDCAM or whatever audio signal N first, but this would go directly to the pre-amp/audio processor. Then, take the individual (decoded and "processed" lines ot from the pre-amp via XLR, run it IN & OUT the Mackie mixer (for the volume control and further eQ, as needed), and then on to the power amps.

Exactly.

In reply to:

Okay, I swear to you I KNEW what "LFE channel" stands for, I just now forgot it!! Would that be... the bass? Please?

Low Frequency Effects... the number after the "dot" or "point" in 6.1... ie: not bass... bass (<100-200Hz depending on your definition) exists in all channels... LFE denotes the channel mixed specifically for subwoofers.

Bren R.

Doubling up of speakers + LFE frequency + EP600
#127608 02/19/06 05:17 AM
F
frequent flier
frequent flier
F
"Just for my own curiosity, you'd be doubling up some positions?"

I am not quite sure what you mean here... here will be 2x1 or 2x2 front left/right speakers, 2x or 3x center, and 2x2 side surrounds, plus 2x1 rear surround. Incidentally, can one use (larger capacity) regular speakers other than dedicated Axiom surround speakers for surround?

"Low Frequency Effects... the number after the "dot" or "point" in 6.1... ie: not bass... bass (<100-200Hz depending on your definition) exists in all channels... LFE denotes the channel mixed specifically for subwoofers."

Gotcha. So, "bass" is under 100 or 200 Hertz. And what would the "typical" freqency range be that is created for a LFE channel? Assuming other than 20-200 or so.

Axiom urges me to get 2 x EP600 subwoofers @ 600 Watts each. Trouble with this little equation is... THAT IS A FRICKING $3,500 FOR TWO SUBS!!!! Hello!!! ;-))

Re: Doubling up of speakers + LFE frequency + EP600
#127609 02/19/06 06:04 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I am not quite sure what you mean here... here will be 2x1 or 2x2 front left/right speakers, 2x or 3x center, and 2x2 side surrounds, plus 2x1 rear surround.

That's what I mean... you'll have a few speakers in each position... a few centres, etc.

In reply to:

Incidentally, can one use (larger capacity) regular speakers other than dedicated Axiom surround speakers for surround?

Of course...

In reply to:

Gotcha. So, "bass" is under 100 or 200 Hertz. And what would the "typical" freqency range be that is created for a LFE channel? Assuming other than 20-200 or so.

Bass is just the low notes... there is "bass" in every channel (except sometimes surrounds)... LFE is a channel specifically mixed for a sub... they'll artificially add, say, really low engine thrum to a submarine movie for instance. The LFE channel usually doesn't contain any information about 80-100Hz.

Bren R.

p.s. I shouldn't answer these while eating.

#127610 02/19/06 04:48 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanka Alan,

Anthem looks interesting, creative audio in Winnipeg carries them and others... may have to take a road trip

#127611 02/20/06 04:15 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
If you take the trip here... let me know... always up for meeting others.

Bren R.

#127612 02/20/06 10:42 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
will do. Have you heard of that audio store?

Last edited by warfer21; 02/20/06 10:43 PM.
#127613 02/20/06 11:03 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Creative? Yeah they've been around forever... used to buy speaker components and drivers from them when I "rolled my own."

Bren R.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020