Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Best AVReceiver under 1000$? consideration wit
#134353 04/26/06 10:15 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I don't think we need to steer anyone anywhere. Maybe I read it wrong but it seems to me it was the op asking about going from M22s to the M60s to the M80s.

I really don't care what anyone buys, I don't have a dog in this fight. Hell I don't care if they buy another brand.

I too see he is getting confused but I also see it is he that is asking the questions. No one is pushing anything on him.

If it were me and I had the Yamaha and was not sure about what to buy I would more than likely play it safe and go with an 8 ohm speaker.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#134354 04/26/06 10:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Things are getting a bit confusing, Imho you can't make a bad choice, stay within your planned budget and you will probably be the most satisfied.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#134355 04/26/06 11:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I reread the thread, but I need to start over.

How big is your room again?

For the vast majority of people, M60's and a decent sub (EP350, STF-3, SVS PB-12, etc.) are going to fill a very large room with very nice sounds. If you have a huge room OR you like everything really loud all the time OR you just have a terminal case of upgradeitis, you can start out "bigger" if your budget allows.

My listening suggests that whatever Axiom product you will buy will be very satisfying. Stop worrying about ohms. That measurement is very likely to not matter a whit.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago (except without the Yamaha 2500) and decided to go with M60's, QS8's, a VP100 and a good $700 subwoofer. I am extremely satisfied.

I don't think anybody was trying to get you to buy the 80's except you, and I also think Ken is right. We all "want" the biggest and best one, but you deprive yourself of many moments of joy by not only delaying the purchase but also by agonizing over it in the process.

btw, I've heard some PSB speakers (although not the ones you mention) and my opinion is that they were not as vibrant and detailed as similar Axiom models.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#134356 04/26/06 11:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not trying to cause problems but I think the voices in my head are telling me that Kenwood isn't a very good buy. In fact I think it's an "Alanism".

If I'm wrong humble apolgies to all concerned.

Getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/SVS 2000/m60/Monolith 3x200 amp
#134357 04/27/06 02:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ford: I think that you are correct about Alan saying that he did not recommend Kenwood. Matter of fact, I think that he may have said that to me about my old Kenwood. But, I'll tell you, my old Kenwood didn't have any problem driving my M80s. Of course, I don't listen to them at very loud levels so any receiver may have been OK.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#134358 04/27/06 02:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wid: I have to agree with you about not trying to sell anything.

I think that stone may be caught going in a circle. That circle is how good is good enough? And, how big a budget do I really have? Can I spare a few more $$$? And, am I likely to get upgraditis in a year, or two, or three.

I tell you those can be devistating questions that drive a fella crazy. I know, I've been there!!!!

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#134359 04/27/06 02:27 AM
shareholder in the making
Stoney, as was said three weeks ago, your present receiver is fine; there doesn't appear to be a compelling reason to make a change. The very title of the thread isn't realistic as there's no such thing as a "best" receiver under $1,000 or at any other price. If your budget for speakers was $1,600, then that's probably what you should still spend. There's little or no correlation between price and sound quality in audio.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#134360 04/27/06 02:38 AM
OK, I had misrememberd this thread. My apologies. Stone, my initial advice still stands. Don't get caught in that circle of upgraditis--it's just going to make you extraordinarily frustrated. Trust me, I know. Set your limits, stick to 'em.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#134361 04/27/06 05:10 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
To all
where do I start?

A disclaimer I guess, I AM NOT pointing fingers at anyone offering their opinion, good, bad, or otherwise. As I always say I appreciate ALL replies, I honestly do. So, it is NOONES fault but mine , this situation I find myself stuck in. As I have read other threads and asked my own questions, I have gained some knowledge (from not just here, all over the internet) ALL because of others replies. I try to weigh all info as best I can, One main thing I take into account is what setup the person has themselves, or past experience with items in question. As it is human nature to support/defend one's one decisions and therefore declare what THEY have as the best choice. But, at the same time those that have the components I'd like opinions on, I feel there are no better people to get opinions/thoughts from, than those that have it.

I may not have anywhere near the knowledge of alot of others, but I am not a stupid man either. One thing I do know well is people. I ask opinions & I get them, that is what *I* ask for. It just so happens as this shopping/quest for knowledge process has gone on I have found myself feeling overwhelmed by all the choices, again I blame NOONE, I want that to be clear. Please don't stop giving replies to ANYone's querries.

the $$$ increase has two main factors, my desire to NOT go through this process for a VERY long time, so therefore I want the best I can get. Secondly, WAF , I in my persuasive way, I have worked her acceptance of my system desires up to a 3000$ level.(tax return helped majorly in that area )

I want the absolute best/most system I can get for my 3000$ spent on speaker system and amplification if need be.I want to make the most informed decision I can as to what to go with. That is the bottom line making the best decision on a system that is getting the most for the $$$ spent. I gather info , as I said, ALL over the place. The one thing I don't think there is NEAR enough of is PROFESSIONAL comparo's of systems that are in the same price range. Subs are a great example , why is it that noone seems to question when they are compared and are not even near the others in price. would not the average person think a 1200 sub SHOULD sound better than one that cost 700$? I should think so, BUT, as bears out alot of the time. more expensive is NOT always better. I LOVE to find UNBIAS reivews and opinions. but they seem few and far between, from what I have seen online.

As it stands now I am VERY VERY frustrated, with the fact that the more knowledge I gain the harder decision making has become. Finding out about this maker or that maker's system that I had no knowledge of, compounds this frustration. The fact that I am here AT ALL should tell u all something. I want to get the best system my money can afford me. Case in point, a short time ago I would have guessed Axiom to be the latest compact car by Ford or some such. lol. Now that I have most of my "other" component questions settled --> gonna stick with the paid for yammy rx-v2500, and add amplification if need be.

So now I have to determine just what speaker system is gonna give me the very best for 3000$. I feel good about my decision to keep the yammy and the other system question I have had answered, but as I know myself, the row I am gonna have to hoe, is gonna be a rocky one, with deciding on what speaker setup to buy. I am frustrated and at time wanna just say F**K IT all and stick with my yammy YSP-1 & YST-SW515 that I have now, but . . . alas . . . I am determined to have that kick ass setup I have wanted all my life. Honestly I didn't foresee this being as frustrating as it has become.

I still feel I may have to start a new thread about a 3000$ system, It will be interesting to see what kind of replies I get. I wont go into a lot of the details I have in this thread, as I expect that alot of replies given will be by those that have answered my other questions or at least put forth the effort to try to help another.

Lastly I feel I will get honest (although sometimes bias) opinions here on the Axiom fourm, that is expected and respected, by me. As I always say, please feel free to reply good , bad or otherwise, any and ALL input is very much appreciated by me.
Peace,
Stone__Man

#134362 04/27/06 05:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Stone__Man, Imho you are doing it the right way, there are alot of choices out there, and as many opinions. Doing as much research and auditioning as you can will only make your final decision more enjoyable, and less costly in the long run. Good Luck

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup