DrunkenWolf #145471 08/16/06 05:49 AM
S
ShaunB Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
Drunken,

When I first hooked up my Axioms, Yamaha receiver, DLP, and cable box together, it was amazing. I ran component cables from the cable box to the receiver and then HDMI out of the receiver to the TV. It gave great video clarity and sound, not to mention being cleaner without all the extra cabling. Comcast cable instituted HDCP copy protections on their cable boxes about two weeks after I got it all setup. I couldn't use the HDMI for pass through out of the receiver. They've never resolved the issues on their cable box. It's amazing how the HDCP just shuts you down with an error message. The video card will ready me for Blu-Ray and or HD DVD. Here's a good article on it HTPC News.

The AuzenTech was only $79 with a $30 mail in rebate, so I couldn't pass it up seeing how the Sound Blaster cards were priced.

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Re: Hey HTPC Folks need your help!
tomtuttle #145472 08/16/06 06:02 AM
S
ShaunB Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
Quote:

Whoa! Those are some sexy PC cases.

You're a lucky bugger regarding the OTA HD. Good for you.

I'd still be tempted to build a network server to house the RAID array, and just have a small, quiet drive for the OS on the local machine. I am a total Linux idiot, and I recently successfully got a similar device up and running for next to no money using Clark Connect Linux. It not only stores media, but also does backups and makes julienne fries. It just looks like the S: drive to my other machines.

But I'm probably over thinking this.

I dig that Seasonic power supply I got. Quiet as a mouse.

Please keep us updated on your exciting project!

Tom,

Can you throw a link on here to give me an example of a what a home network server to house the RAID array would look like/require? I will be using XP PRO for an OS until Vista gets the kinks out, so for a loooooong time.

The HDTV card I ordered came bundled with a Firefly remote, USB receiver and Beyond TV 4 bundled. I bought a Harmony 880 a few months ago and it passed the WAF, so instituting another remote will be interesting. Who knows, I may go through the trouble of setting up the 880 for HTPC use also.

I have seen a couple of things that were interesting but most likely not appropriate for my situation like this Disk Array.

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup