Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Another Receiver Rec...
JohnK #146203 08/28/06 04:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

DW, yes of course the basic quality of receivers should be judged without any special sound processing in effect. When that's the case and the volume levels are calibrated to be within 0.1dB of each other, neither the Yamahas nor any of the other receivers available from major manufacturers add any audible coloration to the sound and they can't be distinguished from each other in blind listening tests..

Once that emotional line has been crossed, 'thinking you are hearing a difference' is the same as hearing a difference. Also, both of these receivers have automatic EQ/Level adjustment. I doubt they both work exactly the same-and I doubt that they will produce the same sound. I just can't believe that all receivers sound exactly the same-I could definately tell the difference between Pioneer and Rotel in the same price class on an a/b switch.

bugbitten #146204 08/28/06 06:48 PM
TrueFX Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
BugBitten, I am in the US.

TrueFX #146205 08/28/06 07:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Then look at ubid for several B-stock options including a Denon 2106 for $400.

I got my Denon 3805 from ubid with no problems. (Though I am thinking real hard about the Outlaw 990 right now.)

DrunkenWolf #146206 09/13/06 06:05 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Quote:

DW, yes of course the basic quality of receivers should be judged without any special sound processing in effect. When that's the case and the volume levels are calibrated to be within 0.1dB of each other, neither the Yamahas nor any of the other receivers available from major manufacturers add any audible coloration to the sound and they can't be distinguished from each other in blind listening tests..

I got to thinking about this, and stating that two receivers will be indistinguishable is a pretty absurd statement. In fact receivers have electronics inside specfically geared toward altering the source sound. I'd be surprised if most people couldn't tell the difference between two receivers in a blind test. There may not be a clear preference-but I think most people could tell you when one was playing versus another.

Once that emotional line has been crossed, 'thinking you are hearing a difference' is the same as hearing a difference. Also, both of these receivers have automatic EQ/Level adjustment. I doubt they both work exactly the same-and I doubt that they will produce the same sound. I just can't believe that all receivers sound exactly the same-I could definately tell the difference between Pioneer and Rotel in the same price class on an a/b switch.

DrunkenWolf #146207 09/13/06 03:15 PM
shareholder in the making
Quote:

I'd be surprised if most people couldn't tell the difference between two receivers in a blind test. There may not be a clear preference-but I think most people could tell you when one was playing versus another.

Quite a few notable blind listening tests performed in the past few decades have shown that that is in fact not the case. I agree with you that it seems counter-intuitive, but the only argument you can make against blind listening tests as a reliable testing methodology is that they somehow mask differences that actually exist between amplifiers.

Then you'd have to prove it.

pmbuko #146208 09/13/06 03:54 PM
Well, the real trick is turning off all of those gewgaws--eg the tone controls (duh), special processing modes, equalization. At that point, well designed receivers should sound the same. Otherwise, they're not well designed.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters