Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I got 'em - initial impressions inside
#147483 09/13/06 05:08 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I have my Axiom system-have for about half a week. I've been living without internet so I haven't had a chance to post. I hope you all have missed the perfect combination of forum troll/reasonable guy (that's me!)

I have the Epic 80-500 setup.

Sound quality wise let me just say that I've not found a limit in volume for these speakers in my room with my receiver. Well I have found a limit-my ears and my paranoia that the neighbors are going to call the cops. In the same room I had been running a modest Boston Acoustics 5.0 system-and I definately found an upward limit in volume with those speakers.

The axioms came in 2 shipments-I suspect that was required to get the speakers through customes. Purolator goes 'dark' when the border crossing happens which is frustrating. No tracking makes me crazy. I suppose I could call them, but I hate using the telephone. I'm just new fashioned. Ship time was just over a week, which was delayed one day because I changed the shipping address.

The first shipment was the VP150, the QS-8s, and the speaker wire. Fate had elected that I not get the real toys on day one. The first box I opened was the center channel. It was double boxed and nicely packaged. It is much bigger than my Boston center, but my TV stand is exactly the right size. I like the binding posts on the back of these speakers. It is easy to run wire into them-the hole is vertical rather than slightly to the side like a lot of speakers I've had in the past. This made getting the wire into the posts much easier. I do have two gripes with the posts. First, there are 'plugs' where banana connections should go that need to be removed before banana connections are added. The plugs are plastic and fall out very easily. I would wager that few Axiom owners have been successful at keeping the little plastic bits inside. Second, the polarity indicator is a red or black ring-it is hard to see in suboptimal lighting. Worse, they seem to be prone to falling off-one of mine is slipping off. If these things do come off easily this will be quite annoying if I ever move.

Sound wise the VP150 destroys my boston center channel. In fact I'm pretty sure that when I wasn't looking the VP150 urinated on the speaker it is scheduled to replace. It also sounded out of place with the other two Boston bookshelves remaining. I ran the receiver's optimizer feature and everything blended well enough again.

I then unboxed the QS-8 speakers and replaced my surrounds. These speakers are incredibly dense. They are way heavier than they look. I was a bit concerned about mounting these on the wall, but the supplied bracket has a lot of places to fasten to the wall. However I have another gripe. While the bracket is supplied the hardware to fasten the bracket to the wall is not supplied. I had to go to my local hardware store and guess at what I should use to attach these to the wall. They are still hanging so I guess I did okay-but supplying some drywall anchors and screws surely can't break Axiom's bank. Heck, add four bucks to the price. Once mounted however, these look really nice!

Again, sound wise these destroyed what I had before. My PC converts stereo into 5 channel audio and the room went from being good to listen to on the couch to being good to listen to anywhere. I don't think that I could be happier.

The next day the same delivery guy showed up with the M80's and EP500. I snickered and said 'heavier boxes today I bet'. He agreed. I unboxed the M80s first. The first M80 I pulled out still managed to surprise me with its size-even though I had already 'measured' how big it would be. I pulled the grill off and I don't think I've smiled that big in a long time. This speaker means business. Serious business.

Uh oh, baby calls. I'll finish my story later.

DW

Re: I got 'em - initial impressions inside
DrunkenWolf #147484 09/13/06 05:36 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I unpacked the EP500 (man this thing is heavy). I hadn't made the connection that EP stood for Epicenter until I saw the name and logo on the box. My first thought at the logo was 'cute'.

I got everything plugged in as quick as I could. My initial impressions were very good. People have described the M80's as bright-and I was a tad worried about that. I have boston speakers in my car which are quite bright and I hate dialing the treble down. I think with truly bright speakers and you increase the volume the more apparent the treble becomes compared to the rest of the audio range. As I turn the volume up on these everything increases proportionately. The highs are controlled and sound accurate to my ear.

I listened to some music, then decided to play a movie. I hadn't really noticed the sub until I played the scene from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when the Vogons are about to destroy Earth. I just about went outside to ensure that there was no real alien invasion I should be aware of. At that moment I decided to stop considering the 'Epicenter' name 'cute'. Instead I realized that Axiom makes accurate speakers-right down to the name.

In all I'm very satisfied with the purchase. I think I would be very happy with the M60s and the 350. But I'd rather have too much speaker than not enough. I don't anticipate feeling the need to get better speakers for a decade.

DrunkenWolf #147485 09/13/06 05:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Very cool, Dwolf! Glad you like the speakers.

It would be very messy if the VP150 urinated on substandard speakers. Stop giving it so much to drink.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
DrunkenWolf #147486 09/13/06 06:50 AM
shareholder in the making
DW, glad to see that you're enjoying your Axioms. By the way, on terminal polarity just remember red-right.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #147487 09/13/06 06:56 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Quote:

DW, glad to see that you're enjoying your Axioms. By the way, on terminal polarity just remember red-right.

Awesome! Thanks.

DrunkenWolf #147488 09/13/06 10:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Congrats DW!

You know it is a prerequisite that you post pictures of the new digs in place or Axiom sends out their repo team to do what they do best. Where do you think the FO inventory comes from?

Rick
Our Room

smile
DrunkenWolf #147489 09/13/06 01:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Congratulations on your new toys! I've been around this forum for nearly 3 years, and these stories of happy customers never seem to get boring. I guess they evoke fond memories of the arrival of my own new toys

Quote:

However I have another gripe. While the bracket is supplied the hardware to fasten the bracket to the wall is not supplied. I had to go to my local hardware store and guess at what I should use to attach these to the wall. They are still hanging so I guess I did okay-but supplying some drywall anchors and screws surely can't break Axiom's bank. Heck, add four bucks to the price.

DW, I suspect Axiom doesn't supply the attachment hardware because there are too many different tpes of walls (wood, plaster, drywall, cement block, etc.) and too many different types of hardware. There are enough different types of drywall anchors alone that it would be impossible to provide exactly what the customer wants or needs.
, etc.

Better to let the customer choose so he gets exactly what his situation demands.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #147490 09/13/06 03:20 PM
For drywall anchors, the second from the left is your best choice if you're mounting in a spot without a stud. It requires no drilling and goes in with only a screwdriver. Many of us here have used them and are extremely happy with them They go by the name EZ Anchor.

Avoid the middle product by all means. I've seen more of those pull out of walls than I care to remember.

DrunkenWolf #147491 09/13/06 03:54 PM
local
local
Despite the serious breech in forum protocol with the lack pics I enjoyed your post very much. Why I enjoy reading someone else's bliss into home theater I'm not quite sure, but I do.

pmbuko #147492 09/13/06 03:55 PM
I used the 4th one over. No worries there...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 1,064 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup