Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: HD/DVD
jimmienorton #149433 12/09/06 06:30 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
That's encouraging. Thanks...I have to keep it set at bit stream to get any sound whatsoever.

I'm scared of firmware upgrades. So far this past month, I've smoked an AVR, almost smoked my VP50, and totally screwed up one of Oppo's. I'm not about to try another one without the disk. No way am I doing a download....

Tom....dork.

Re: HD/DVD new news
michael_d #149434 01/08/07 03:04 AM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Announced at CES this today.

LG revealed more information on it's upcoming dual format HD-DVD/Blu-ray player today.

The player will play Blu-ray, HD-DVD and standard DVD discs. It will display video at 1080P trough a HDMI 1.2 output.

The player will be available through national retailers, including Best Buy and Circuit City beginning the first week of February for a suggested retail price of $1,199.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #149435 01/09/07 02:36 AM
aficionado
aficionado
The new LG dual format player is already on Best Buys website.

LG Dual format

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Lorenzo1000 #149436 01/09/07 01:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
SAA-WEEEET...
Not that I am ready to jump on board yet, but I've been waiting for a dual format drive to hit the market. I am still in the HD-DVD camp (if I had to pick "sides"), but like many people, I don't want to be left out in the cold if one format "wins" over the other.
I just got a huge present for Christmas, so I don't get any presents until August 2008 (my birthday month) as part of that "agreement", so maybe by then, they will have a resonably priced dual drive for the PC so I can (finally) build that HTPC....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #149437 01/09/07 07:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Which receiver are you HD-DVD folk using? I bought an Onkyo 604 with HDMI to go with my Toshiba A2 and returned it for lousy LFE. I am starting to think it was a setup issue but I didn't have problems with the last two HK's I setup for myself or the half dozen other brands I setup of for friends and family. I could have had a defective unit but I doubt it.

I may get the Denon 2307CI or try the Onkyo 804 but only the Onkyo can be returned without question since I would buy it at CC.

If any of you HDMI-HD-DVD folk can chime in with your receiver of choice, I would appreciate it.

Greg

GregM #149438 01/09/07 07:38 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Greg,

I’ve got a headache that just won’t go away from researching this very question you ask for the past couple of weeks. I’ve read more stinking manuals, called more “tech support” technicians (that don’t know shee-it), read more friggin internet forum posts and exchanged more PM’s with folks than I have in the past five years since I first discovered this internet forum world.

Nothing is definite. Nothing is without problems. Nothing works exactly as it is advertised to work.

Even the few HDMI equipped AVR’s that have the least amount of reported issues and are considered the most reliable…..have problems.

All that being said, these are the units I’ve narrowed my search down to.

The current line of Denon’s appear to be the most reliable considering HDMI audio (2807 and up). They will post process 5.1 PCM streams to extract 6 / 7 channels. I can not confirm if they do this by down mixing the 96/24 data streams to 48/24 or not. If they do downmix, you might as well stick to optical or coax and not worry about HDMI if you insist on 7.1.

Yamaha 1700 and 2700 are in the same boat as the Denons. They are also considered reliable and perform post processing. It is confirmed that these units down mix 96/24 data streams.

All the new line of Marantz AVR’s are doing well (user comments) but they are so new that there just isn’t that many owners around to test them out and report back. I can not confirm if they do any 5.1 post processing or not.

There are NO separates on the market that offer HDMI audio processing and only switch, with the exception of the Anthem D2 and AMV 40/50.

What you need to do if figure out what extra functions you want in an AVR first. This is just me making a suggestion based off my research, but I would stick to the three brands I listed above and pick one of their units with the features you want or need.

I would not wait for any 07 new models because you will just end up being a beta tester for that manufacture. The others have been out long enough to where others have already reported issues and firmware fixes are already being developed to address them.

…….good luck.

michael_d #149439 01/09/07 08:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Greg,

I’ve got a headache that just won’t go away from researching this very question you ask for the past couple of weeks. I’ve read more stinking manuals, called more “tech support” technicians (that don’t know shee-it), read more friggin internet forum posts and exchanged more PM’s with folks than I have in the past five years since I first discovered this internet forum world.

Nothing is definite. Nothing is without problems. Nothing works exactly as it is advertised to work.

Even the few HDMI equipped AVR’s that have the least amount of reported issues and are considered the most reliable…..have problems.

The current line of Denon’s appear to be the most reliable considering HDMI audio (2807 and up). They will post process 5.1 PCM streams to extract 6 / 7 channels. I can not confirm if they do this by down mixing the 96/24 data streams to 48/24 or not. If they do downmix, you might as well stick to optical or coax and not worry about HDMI if you insist on 7.1.

Yamaha 1700 and 2700 are in the same boat as the Denons. They are also considered reliable and perform post processing. It is confirmed that these units down mix 96/24 data streams.

All the new line of Marantz AVR’s are doing well (user comments) but they are so new that there just isn’t that many owners around to test them out and report back. I can not confirm if they do any 5.1 post processing or not.

There are NO separates on the market that offer HDMI audio processing and only switch, with the exception of the Anthem D2 and AMV 40/50.

What you need to do if figure out what extra functions you want in an AVR first. This is just me making a suggestion based off my research, but I would stick to the three brands I listed above and pick one of their units with the features you want or need.

I would not wait for any 07 new models because you will just end up being a beta tester for that manufacture. The others have been out long enough to where others have already reported issues and firmware fixes are already being developed to address them.

…….good luck.

Did you investigate the pioneer elite 84 at all yet?

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Lorenzo1000 #149440 01/09/07 09:23 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Yes, and many others. The P/E's have LFE issues with LPCM.

Here is a link to a 1000+ and counting post on this very subject (PCM audio). http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511

Read the first post that the OP is updating, and then go to about post 950 and start reading. Do a search on AVR’s that you are interested in. There’s a lot of very good information on this post from users much, much smarter than I am on this stuff. It won’t take you long to figure out the issues that I’ve hinted at.

Then read this post on pre / pro’s with hdmi.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=779504

There’s some very sharp fellers posting some good information regarding HDMI. Opened my eyes and depressed the hell out of me because I found it to be pretty accurate.

Last edited by mdrew; 01/09/07 09:40 PM.
michael_d #149441 01/09/07 09:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I know the elite has issues with the LFE being down by 10db through hdmi but pioneer is supposedly fixing this soon by a firmware update. Of course we've all heard this before from companies but if this is true it seems like a good bet to me.

Well I guess if we're looking for a receiver that processes the new sound formats then we have a ways to go.

Last edited by Lorenzo1000; 01/09/07 09:59 PM.

michael_d #149442 01/10/07 12:29 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Greg,

…….good luck.

I could have written paragraph #1 for you if you know what I mean. I also agree about not wanting to beta test 2007 model receivers. The Onkyo's I have looked at have only been shipping for a few months so they are new enough, but not so new as to be uncharted territory. I think . . .

I am considering the Denon 2307CI but the 2807 is out of my price range. Any thoughts on that model? What I want is for the HD audio played back on my Toshiba A2 through the HDMI to be at least 5.1 in uncompressed Dolby TrueHD, assuming that is available on the disk. I can't go with 6.1 or 7.1 in my current room so I am not worried about that capability.

I think the Onkyo 604/674/804 are good for 5.1 over HDMI, but the 604 is the one that gave me, emphasis on me, lousy LFE. If the Denon 2307CI will do what I want, maybe I'll make that move. Then again, CC will allow me to return the 804 if I dont' like it so maybe I should try it first. If I am happy, then I am good to go and if not, I can still get the Denon.

This bleeding edge stuff has it's limits.

Greg

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020