AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13328 Members
11 Forums
22920 Topics
405201 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13340
CV 11236
MarkSJohnson 10941
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#402561 - 04/07/14 04:51 PM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: Tarun]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
What, we're just having a bit of fun! Don't be too thin skinned!

Or maybe I should say, what was it ... someone said it earlier today ...

"If you think i'm bullying your sensitive nature then i'm sorry, but you need to Man-up."

#402623 - 04/07/14 08:02 PM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: AlaskanAVGuy]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: AlaskanAVGuy
The people on this Forum are getting worse than AVS
WOW how immature.

LOL...LMAO

#402716 - 04/09/14 12:48 AM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: AlaskanAVGuy]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Originally Posted By: AlaskanAVGuy
The people on this Forum are getting worse than AVS
WOW how immature.

The people on this forum have built up a rapport and enjoy making each other laugh. We also come out of the woodwork to gawk at, bemoan, try to mollify the newcomer when said newcomer acts as an agent provocateur and stirs things up with aberrant behavior.

You, sir, whether intentionally or not, are fulfilling that role admirably. You are tenacious and consistent in the belief that you are correct and anyone who engages with you is not. If you wish to continue wearing the troll du jour mantle, be my guest.

#402718 - 04/09/14 01:22 AM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: Tarun]
brwsaw Offline
connoisseur

...the Itchy and Scratchy show...

#403125 - 04/15/14 02:41 PM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: Tarun]
stoudtlr Offline
buff

Since this thread rose from the grave like a character in a George Romero flick I may as well ask my question here instead of starting my own. What processor/receiver would you all recommend? I've already got Emotiva amps to power my M22's and QS8's. Just need the receiver. I have been looking at that Onkyo receiver that Alaska dude posted actually. It will be used about 80/20 for movies/music and I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile. Is it worth paying the extra money for a processor separate or would I be fine with getting a cheaper all-in-one receiver like the Onkyo and just using the pre-outs?

Looking to stay under $1500 and only requirements I have are 7.1, 2nd zone, and aforementioned pre-outs if it's a receiver instead of separate. What do you guys have/like?

#403150 - 04/15/14 10:04 PM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: stoudtlr]
JohnK Offline

A receiver is the cost-effective purchase in the vast majority of circumstances and benefits from economies of production scale compared to separate processors and amplifiers. The Onkyo 828 isn't suggested since, despite the numbering, it constitutes a "downgrade" relative to the 818(the 929 is actually the successor to the 818). Among the differences, the 828 has Audyssey MultEQ processing, down two steps from the top MultEQ XT32 which the 818(and 929)has. The best buy at this time appears to be the factory refurbished 818 for about $580 from Accessories4less . These units should be at least as reliable as a brand-new one.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#403200 - 04/17/14 01:02 AM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: Tarun]
jakewash Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Be wary of the 828 and Onkyo in general as the HDMI ports have been failing, many people complaining on various forums and ONKYO appears to be replacing failed components with same and having them fail again and again. A former forum regular I know has one and last we spoke he was down to one working port and was getting ready to send it in.

My HT

#403217 - 04/17/14 09:20 AM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: jakewash]
stoudtlr Offline
buff

Originally Posted By: jakewash
Be wary of the 828 and Onkyo in general as the HDMI ports have been failing...

Thanks for the info, but what brand/model would you recommend if not Onkyo?

I definitely do NOT want any chance of HDMI issues. We have a Vizio tv in the family room with HDMI issues. When changing inputs the video from selected source always displays but sometimes audio doesn't work. Have to cycle power and unplug and reconnect HDMI a few times before the sound will be picked up. Really a PITA, but trying to get HT finished before dropping money on a new tv for that room.

#403239 - 04/17/14 03:06 PM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: stoudtlr]
wilwom Offline
veteran

Loc: Denton, TX

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-s.../airplay/1.html

Says last one buy now. Has multi eq xt but not xt32. Refurb.

#403278 - 04/18/14 01:58 PM Re: Receiver - Which One - Budget in Mind. [Re: stoudtlr]
casey01 Offline
aficionado

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: stoudtlr
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Be wary of the 828 and Onkyo in general as the HDMI ports have been failing...

Thanks for the info, but what brand/model would you recommend if not Onkyo?

I definitely do NOT want any chance of HDMI issues. We have a Vizio tv in the family room with HDMI issues. When changing inputs the video from selected source always displays but sometimes audio doesn't work. Have to cycle power and unplug and reconnect HDMI a few times before the sound will be picked up. Really a PITA, but trying to get HT finished before dropping money on a new tv for that room.

Although I have never owned a Denon AVR, over the last number of years I have owned an Onkyo, Marantz and two Yamaha models including my most recent new Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre-Pro. Of the three brands and in my case anyway, the only one that has given me consistent reliable HDMI connections has been the Yamaha and that is with other items connected between the HDMI out of the Pre-Pro and in particular to a Lumagen VP between it and the display. With HDMI sometimes the more connections the more problematic the "handshake" issues, yet, I have never experienced issues with the Yamaha. Cable/Sat boxes connected through AVRs via HDMI sometimes can have issues as well. I have read recently in the CE press that Yamaha has recently introduced some very good highly rated budget brand AVR's that might fit your bill.

Incidentally, I have found it also helps to have a good HDMI "locking" cable like the "Perfect Path" brand.

Edited by casey01 (04/18/14 01:59 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.