Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My four sub independant system .....Alan will it w
axiom_man #158476 02/14/07 02:02 AM
aficionado
aficionado
With regards to your suggested setup it won't work because unfortunetly the Axiom subs to not have high level outputs so you won't be able to reroute speaker wire from the subs to your various speakers. You would need to get an outboard bass management/equalizer system to accomplish it.

Installing multiple subs can be a daunting task but if done right you will be rewarded with uniform bass response throughout the room rather than one sweet spot. Stereo subs in particular can sound very pleasing because of how the harmonics play out in the subs and the upper harmonics in the mains. There is a classic description of how stereo subs enhance sound written by a recording engineer who went by the name Soundhound a few years ago that I keep on file:

Quote:

While it is true that low bass is in theory non directional, the way that bass mixes in the room is not. An example - suppose that you have a group of performers on a stage and they are being recorded by two or three omni directional microphones in front about 15 feet away, which is a common technique. Now say you have someone playing a bass drum or string bass on the extreme left of the stage. The sound of that instrument will reach the left microphone earlier than the right microphone. Considering the frequency of the instruments will be be around 30 Hz in the case of the bass drum and 40 Hz in the case of the bass, the delay in the sound reaching the left and right microphones will be as much as half a wavelength. If you were to play this with a single subwoofer, or two subs with the bass between the channels electronically summed by the crossover as it is when you use the "sub/LFE" output on your pre/pro, this acoustic delay would simply cause peaks and dips in the response of the bass from that instrument. However, if you use stereo subs and are hearing ture stereo bass, this delay between the sound reaching the left and right microphones is heard as natural acoustic mixing of the bass frequencies from those instruments in the listening room, just as it did in the original recording venue. The way the bass mixes in the room is natural, acoustic, and dynamic over time.

As an example of another real-world benefit of stereo subs located next to the main left and right speakers, consider the following example. You have your single subwoofer connected to the "subwoofer/LFE output of your pre/pro, and the sub is located next to your couch, and you have it crossed over at 80Hz (in other words, a pretty conventional arrangement). The distance from your listening position to the mains is 10 feet (the sub is 10 feet from your mains). You play a studio recording that has a bass player coming from the right speaker. He plays an open "E" string. Guess what? The fundamental frequency of that string (about 40Hz) will come from the subwoofer next to you. The second harmonic at around 80Hz will come from both your sub and your main speakers. The 3rd harmonic (and above) of the bass will come exclusively from your mains. As you can imagine, this plays absolute havoc with the harmonic presentation and structure and of the instrument! The effect is of the same type, if not to the same degree, of taking the tweeter out of your speaker cabinets and relocating them a couple feet away. Fundamental frequencies coming from one place, and the harmonics coming from another. The closer the notes being played are to the bass crossover frequency, the worse this disembodiment of the fundamental from it's harmonics will be, as the phase difference between the two will be greater due to the higher frequency. Adjusting the "phase" control of your subwoofer will not correct this: it only corrects for one specific frequency, that of the crossover, and musicians hate being restricted to playing only one note (at least good ones!).

Getting the stereo subs in phase and blended with the mains can be timeconsuming and then there are phase tradeoffs between the centre and the other subs. If you attempt it be sure to set aside the better part of a Saturday and try to do it with a RTA display as well as an SPL metre.

But lets step back and look at your equipment and what I think you are trying to accomplish. You have a great pair of deep floorstanders in the M80s so wouldn't it be better as was suggested already to put them to use by crossing them as low as possible at 60hz or perhaps 50hz. The M80s will give you lots of stereo bass at those crossover points and preserve more of the harmonic structure since more of the mid bass fundamental will originate in the M80s. Do you really need to run stereo subs with those deep M80s?

Now if you run the rest of the subs mono you will be able to concentrate on placement and proper phase between the subs to smooth response across the room. With dual subs while they look very cool up front the Harman papers on optimal sub placement recommend midsidewall placement for best frequency response across most seats. I like the idea of a pair of 500s and a pair of 350s because they allow you to lower gain on all subs and with it keep distortion components and other non-linearities to a minimum. If you get them working in phase the resulting bass will be very clean and detailed. Its well worth the effort but I would suggest running them all in mono for the best overall acoustical improvement.

I ran a pair of 600s and a pair of 500s like that for many months and the bass was absolutely spectacular. However my family had to get used to hearing bass sweeps running through the house for several weekends in a row.

John
axiom_man #158477 02/14/07 02:31 AM
shareholder in the making
Troy, that hasn't been my experience when the sub is properly crossed-over and doesn't create noise or distortion which brings attention to itself. As Mark pointed out, it's only the upper harmonics which should be reproduced by the speakers, not the sub, which allow localizing bass sounds. An 80Hz crossover to my EP500 works with no problem. You didn't describe either the crossover frequency or the present sub. An 80Hz crossover to a quality sub should be adequate to prevent localization. A 60Hz crossover would make this even more certain, but that would be a little low for your VP150 and QS8s(and you can set only a uniform crossover frequency on your 3803).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: My four sub independant system .....Alan will
axiom_man #158478 02/14/07 02:49 AM
If your hearing the bomb's direction, then the frequency is high enough to notice direction and they are not the LFE we are talking about that you can't determine. There is a difference between feeling and hearing certain hZ. The wavelengths of lower frequencies are very long.

I would recommend you do a little research on the science of acoustics, which may help you understand.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

JohnK #158479 02/14/07 02:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would still give the 60hz x-over in the reciever a try and see what you think.

I also run my 80's "Large", and LFE "Sub + Main".

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
JohnK #158480 02/14/07 12:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

A 60Hz crossover would make this even more certain, but that would be a little low for your VP150 and QS8s(and you can set only a uniform crossover frequency on your 3803).

Good point John. While 50-60hz is optimal for the M80s it won't be for the other speakers. In fact for the QS8s I prefer higher than 80hz. With HT there are alot of compromises. If he is planning on investing in all those subs he may want to consider a receiver with better bass management, something that allows more control over crossover settings.

John
jakeman #158481 02/14/07 01:41 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks
Jakeman, JohnK , Sirquack and others it is helping.
Jakeman, right on that report is exactly how I couldn't write it. That is what I was trying to get at. Although i can get costly. I did forget that the EP 500 and 600 do not have the high level output. But as for the Denon 3803, yeh it is limited but, it will be upgraded within the next couple years. I am really waiting for a good 7.2 or 7.4 but still in the $3000 - $4000 range. I would really like 3 Anthem Amps ...one 3 channel for the fronts and two 2 channels for rears and backs. And a pre/pro I can gradualy working this in over time picking up an amp a year and using the Denon as the pre/pro. Which I may do anyways.
I want to get the best sound I can ultimately with what my budget is, so far I have all my speakers and am now working on the sub theory. I have budgeted $4000 or less is better, over three years that puts me at two EP600 but is that over kill if I am not doing the 4 sub array thing. I know two EP600 will blow the roof off at $4000, but so wouldn't two EP500's at $2600. right now I am told two EP500 are better than one EP600. And with a previous post also if I had two EP500's upfront and two EP 350 high passed in the rear that the EP 500 will more or less make them useless, so I would want 4 EP500 and that is not in the budget. Unless I winn that million a year for life lottery end of the month like thats gonna happen.
But I think I will take all advice and go with two EP500's and set the cross over at 80 but for my front left and right set the speakers to large. Know what would be nice is a AMP that you can set the crossover for each individual speaker

They should make a 7.7 channel amp each channel has a LFE and it's own crossover setting well really you need 4 crossovers ...1 front left/right , 1 for centre ,1 for rears and 1 for backs. Then have 7 EP500 situated under or beside each respected speaker. The Idea is not to blow the roof off, I guess as the Girlfriend say I am a toy man and love my toys and wasting money for what is really not needed. But, if I win that lottery .............

I think that given my room currently is 18 ft long and my seating position is 11 ft from the front I will get two EP500 and place them about 6ft from the front on each side wall to start with and see what happens

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #158482 02/14/07 05:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
A pair of EP500s will be a significant improvement over a single EP600 because of smoother frequency response across more of the room depending on where you place them. I know various people like to run their deep mains full range but the key is getting smooth frequency response across all speakers and subs. If you can get smooth response with no cancellation by running full range mains in your room that's great but in most rooms doing that will cause problems.

The EP500s are powerful subs with plenty of output so I find its better to relieve the mains of also reproducing the deep bass by crossing them as low as is practicable. What in effect you are doing is taking stress off the mains amp and keeping more power on reserve for the transients in the midrange and higher frequencies. That usually means better dynamics and less distortion in the mains. Where it gets tricky is at the crossover frequency which is where the subs and mains need to be in phase and properly positioned. I know one user that crosses his M80s at 40hz to a pair of EP600s and it sounds excellent. Half the fun is experimenting in your own room.

I like your idea of adding 350s eventually and agree with you on going slow. You may find that the sound from the dual 500s is more than enough.

axiom_man #158483 02/15/07 02:28 AM
local
local
You might want to check out Harman Kardon receivers as they allow for different crossover settings for different speaker pairings.

Paul

axiom_man #158484 02/15/07 05:27 AM
Troy, two EP-500s should certainly do very well. One suggestion would be to make the placement exactly at the midpoints of the opposite side walls(i.e. 9' from the front), which is the point where the room mode for the 18' dimension is at a minimum.

Yes, setting the crossover at 80Hz with that setup should work well(but with the M80s set "small"). The idea is to set it high enough to take a significant amount of the low bass load off the mains, yet not so high that the subs are localizable; generally 80Hz does that.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

jakeman #158485 02/15/07 10:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I believe I'm completely out to lunch regarding the mixing and matching of multiple subs ...

I do know that Axiom told me that by running our EP350 along with our EP600 there wouldn't be an improvement and I remember reading somewhere that whenever running multiple subs they should be 'like' subs, but you are saying that one can indeed run something like the EP350/EP175 alongside the EP500/600 for a multiple sub setup? I'm primarily speaking in terms of a dual subwoofer setup.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters