AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (wschwartz, msjpearson, Ken.C), 74 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13316 Members
11 Forums
22874 Topics
404212 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17768
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11194
MarkSJohnson 10878
Meanwhile On Facebook

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1604 - 02/14/02 06:31 PM Effects of amplifier power
djl Offline

Say I have a pair of speakers (M60s?) playing "average" rock or classical music in an average room at an undemanding level of volume - one which you could talk over and which wouldn't disturb the neighbors. Would I notice an apperciable difference with a higher-powered amplifier over a lower-powered one (like a NAD C370 vs. a NAD C350)?

#1605 - 02/14/02 07:38 PM Re: Effects of amplifier power
russvols Offline
frequent flier

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
From my experience the difference you could hear is the weight and impact of the bass. It would have a bit more definition. I have fiddled around with swapping out amps and receivers and this is what I always notice at the volume level you are talking about.

#1606 - 02/16/02 10:44 AM Re: Effects of amplifier power
BBIBH Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
Having a couple of similar amps (NAD 20w and 40w) that I swap in and out of a midfi setup, I can tell you that there is less of a difference between brand mates, then amps of different manufacturers. The main differences are as mentioned previously, the impact of the frequency response. The larger amp will be able to utilize the increased power (current, etc) when called for, even in average listening.

The basic tenet of this is to compare amplifier sections of similar quality pieces. There is a couple of threads that deal with "quality of amplifier output". I would suggest you search for them.

Regards,

BBIBH

Mike

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.