Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L/C/R and 2 Subs in a line across screen's bottom?
#160713 03/06/07 06:10 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Like the picture of the Epic 80 system picture shows on the page of the Axiom site. Are there any rules, benefits, or sacrifices by placing your speakers in a line like that? Also..do they need to spaced apart a certain amount from each other?

I hope my question made sense?

Thanks

Re: L/C/R and 2 Subs in a line across screen's bottom?
liquidchaos #160714 03/06/07 06:36 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tony, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't put the speakers in a line if there was room to do so(what would the alternative be?). The sound would be coming from the same level for all of them. Generally the mains should be about as far apart as the distance of the listeners from them.

The subs can be another matter. When they're close to each other, as in the picture, there is reinforcement of the bass frequencies which can be as much as 6dB. However, if they're widely separated, at the midpoints of the opposite side walls or the front and back walls, although the bass reinforcement is only 3dB, that placement minimizes room effects in the bass and leads to more smoothness.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #160715 03/06/07 07:34 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks! I guess I was asking more so the subs being in that line. I was just wondering if I had to arrange my subs in that config if anything would be a problem. Or if there was anything I shouldn't do, (have them too close to the L/R, dont touch the center with them, etc)

Thanks

liquidchaos #160716 03/06/07 02:35 PM
devotee
devotee
What about the corners?
or another setup I see and hear is one in the Front corner and one in the rear out of phase.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #160717 03/06/07 06:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

What about the corners?
or another setup I see and hear is one in the Front corner and one in the rear out of phase.

Ideal sub placement is one of those things which will vary from room to room. What works well in one room may not work well in another. There are several broad factors to keep in mind, though again not all room acoustics will give you the same results. Generally speaking:

1. Placing a sub in a corner will increase SPL especially at the lower frequencies because of reinforcemnt from the three boundaries. In a large room with a small sub the corner is often the best solution to get higher output. Though this can also create more nodes and less smooth frequency response.

2. Placing a sub close to the main speakers can be the best place to align the sub in phase with the mains but like the corner that is not usually the optimal place for smooth frequency response.

3. The closer dual subs are to one another the greater they reinforce one another. Two subs co-located also provide the greatest gain of 6db compared to having one individual sub. However as you move each sub away the "free" SPL falls away but room nodes get smoother.

4. Two subs far away from one another can provide the most linear FR, but there are more time domain issues between the subs and the mains.

5. Where a sub(s) look best is usually not the optimal location for smooth FR and getting the mains and subs in phase.

Anyway you look at it sub placement involves a set of compromises including aesthetics, and there is no one silver bullet unique solution. Patience, a calibration disc, an RS metre and a few hours of time are required. Experimenting with different placements after listening for a while usually yields the best results for your requirements in your particular room.

John
jakeman #160718 03/07/07 03:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think you have gotten some great advice. There is no absolute rule for sub placement. It depends on the room and equipment. I tried using dual subs in the front and rear of the room, with all sorts of placement and settings variations. I ended up prefering the overall sound with both subs inline up front. You should try all the scenarios you can with a long temporary sub cable, and settle on what works best for you.

Good luck.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup