Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: My Emotiva LMC-1 Review
PeterChenoweth #166216 05/03/07 04:10 AM
buff
buff
lol. Too bad your WAF factor was too low(I had no idea what that meant and googled it and laughed my head off when I found the wikipedia article on it).

Me playing Hendrix with my teeth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYaBBemvA7U
Re: My Emotiva LMC-1 Review
Scuffernoose #166217 05/03/07 01:07 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

lol. Too bad your WAF factor was too low(I had no idea what that meant and googled it and laughed my head off when I found the wikipedia article on it).

Oh yes, WAF is a very important term when it comes to home audio.

My wife is quite awesome when it comes to home theater. She enjoys the music and the equipment almost as much as I do. But my wife has a strange attachment to our Pioneer Elite AVR. She just really likes it. Any Pre-pro has some big shoes to fill, as the P/E has so many features and functions. I haven't been able to find *any* pre-pro that allows me to custom set speaker levels for each source, for instance.

In the end though, the P/E 'just works'. I knows when to apply DPLIIx vs Dolby Digital processing, allows me to change to whatever DSP mode I want for whatever source, the calibration levels 'stick', and it always remembers that the CD player is supposed to be 'Stereo'. Sadly, in my experience the same cannot be said about the LMC-1, which is why my wife disliked it so much.

I just wish that my music had the same pop, sparkle, and presence as it did with the LMC-1.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Peter, how about hiss from LMC-1?
tomtuttle #166218 05/11/07 03:11 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Peter,

How about hiss from the LMC-1? Did you have any?

The hiss on mine is audible on the calibrated QS8s from the listening position and it is very annoying.

I have read and read and tested and tested. It is not a ground loop issue. The hiss enters my system with the LMC-1.

The av123 forums have several people with hissing problems with the LMC-1.

What pre/pro are you getting? Please let me know how you like it.

Thanks,

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Mains: M22 v2
Center: VP150 v2
Surrounds: QS8s v2
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK3
Re: Peter, how about hiss from LMC-1?
Rodney #166219 05/11/07 03:21 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yes, I did hear some hiss during very quiet passages. I didn't hear it from my rear M22's, but I did hear it on my M80's. It wasn't enough to be really bothersome, but it was there. I too have read a couple of reports from people with more sensitive speakers having hiss problems.

More than likely I'm going to end up getting an Outlaw 990. I haven't quite decided, but the bass management on SACD input is important to me, and only the Outlaws seem to offer it. The 990 seems to meet my needs better than the 970, at least from the specs and manual. I can't justify spending more for an MMC or DMC that does less.

Quote:

Peter,

How about hiss from the LMC-1? Did you have any?

The hiss on mine is audible on the calibrated QS8s from the listening position and it is very annoying.

I have read and read and tested and tested. It is not a ground loop issue. The hiss enters my system with the LMC-1.

The av123 forums have several people with hissing problems with the LMC-1.

What pre/pro are you getting? Please let me know how you like it.

Thanks,

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 05/11/07 03:27 AM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
PeterChenoweth #166220 05/11/07 04:06 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Thanks, Peter. Let me know how it matches up with the LPA-1.

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Rodney #166221 05/11/07 04:21 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Oh, I'm sure I'll ramble on if/when I eventually get it. The Outlaw 990 really looks quite nice. My only hesitation is price and that darn 40% upgrade plan that Emotiva has. For some folks, $1000-$1500 on a prepro is nothing. For me, a $500 prepro (LMC) is fine, but spending over a grand just for the prepro is pushing my budget at the moment (wife wants to go somewhere special this summer....)

What I'm really going to do is wait until June and see what the new special will be from Emotiva. Last month it was the MMC/LPA combo, and this month it's the DMC. I have read that Emotiva is working on an 'LMC-2' that may appear later this summer. So part of me is hoping that the LMC-1 goes on sale in June/July. I have a tendency to buy new products but on the backside of their production run, and save a few bucks. I might have to snag an LMC-1 (again) then, if it's like $399 or something like that.

Quote:

Thanks, Peter. Let me know how it matches up with the LPA-1.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 05/11/07 04:26 AM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
why separates?
PeterChenoweth #166222 05/11/07 04:53 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
What makes separates better than a all-in-one receiver, like the Yamaha RX-V661? Is it the built-in amplification that is sub-par?

If I decide to return/sell the LMC-1 and keep the LPA-1 amp, would a receiver with pre-amp outs to the LPA-1 do just as well as dedicated pre/pro? I know that for audio: good quality DACs are important, so if the receiver has good quality DACs and I bypass its amplification and use the LPA-1, is my audio quality going to be worse than a pre/pro's?

Ah, I don't even know what I am saying or what/how to ask...

Regards,

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Re: why separates?
Rodney #166223 05/11/07 05:09 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Rodney, there isn't any magic in "separates"; putting stuff in two or three boxes instead of one and charging a lot more doesn't work miracles. The cost-effective and sensible buy for most applications is a receiver at a relatively moderate cost. If you want to keep the present separate amplifier, using a receiver as a pre-pro works just as well as a separate pre-pro, although you're not taking advantage of the amplifier sections that you've paid for. As Alan and others have pointed out, DACs are now a mature technology and you can be confident that the ones in a receiver you buy are good enough to achieve audibly flawless converting.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Rodney #166224 05/11/07 10:37 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Rodney #166225 05/11/07 11:57 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Rodney like most things in audio(or video) for that matter there are compromises to make and its useful to know what they are in order to make informed decisions. There are pros and cons with owning separates or integrated receivers. I've owned many of both. currently using an integrated in a 5.1 system around a TV dispay, separates in my 7.2 HT , and separates in my stereo setup.

There is alot of great gear available but generally speaking except for the higher end integrateds, sonic quality is better in separates for two main reasons. Firstly, when housed in one box the large magnetic field from the amplifier does create low level signal interference even with shielding. Indeed shielding can only go so far to lowering noise or eliminating signal interation. Secondly, heat negatively effects all electronic devices and causes wear and tear. By design there is always going to be more heat generated inside one integrated box. Performance is bound to suffer because of the complex signal interactions you get from all the functions jammed inside one box.

On the other hand its tough to beat the value of buying a box containing an amp, processor and tuner with the latest codecs and formats. Integrated are the only real option if your budget is less than $1,000. If bang for the buck is the objective, integrateds win hands down. Moreover in some applications, such as my TV room, integrateds are more space efficient. And over the years the gap between separates and integrateds has narrowed with better technology and RF limiting designs.

But from the perspective of what will give you the best performance, integrateds will not be able to overcome the advantage which separates will always have of mixing and matching more precisely the requirments of your components. In my experience all speakers, including the Axiom floorstanders, benefit from increased amplification. Call it better resolution or dynamic range, call it better transparency, they always sound better from having more power available on reserve for sudden loud transients. Integrateds are most limited by the size of their amplifiers and inherently more signal noise compared to separates.

John
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020