AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Greg's pseudo-HT room
EP175v4 with M3v4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13336 Members
11 Forums
22945 Topics
405822 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17809
pmbuko 16298
SirQuack 13344
CV 11271
MarkSJohnson 10966
Meanwhile On Facebook

Shopping made easy! Need it by the 24th? Upgrade to air shipping for just $20!...

Just two more days! Better tell your gift-givers! http://axiomaudio.com/holida...

So many people took advantage of the weekend sales! Lots of auditioning about t...

Only a few hours left to get a gift card worth up to 25% of your purchase! http:...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166640 - 04/25/07 09:04 AM Techno info and the Bot Squad
Andrea Offline
buff

Hi all:

Here I am in the middle of the invasion of the Bot Squad and I need some help. Amie has run off on a well deserved vacation so maybe you all can give me a little information. I see that there are three bots and and two members all from the same IP. Does that mean that they are using the same computer? I'm a little new to the IP concept.

#166641 - 04/25/07 09:30 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: Andrea]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Andrea,

Although, technically, thousands of computers on a single network can share one real IP address, it would take an enormous coincidence (or coordinated effort) for five individuals to be operating from said single network. In this case we can safely assume that all three bots and the two members are the creation of a single person.

Will you publicly out this person so we can ridicule him/her?

Edited by pmbuko (04/25/07 09:33 AM)

#166642 - 04/25/07 09:38 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: Andrea]
PeterChenoweth Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Jacksonville, IL
pmbuko is precisely correct.

For the purposes of banning someone, I would think that it's safe to assume that 1 IP = 1 Computer = 1 User, but it's certainly not strictly true. It's also sometimes easy to get a new IP address, though that depends completely on what type of connection the user has. Dial-up will almost always be a different IP, while a dedicated T1 will probably always be the same, for instance.

For example, all of your networked PC's at the Axiom office will probably share the same 'portal' to the internet, through your internet service provider. It's pretty likely that if different Axiom people are out 'on the internet' doing various things, that they will all show the same IP address. If one were to have their IP address banned from a forum for some reason, it's possible that *everyone* at Axiom would be banned.

Someone with more discussion-board moderation experience should chime in here....

Edited by PeterChenoweth (04/25/07 09:40 AM)
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office

#166643 - 04/25/07 10:44 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: Andrea]
GrammarBot Offline
frequent flier

Sad news, all!

Someone has infiltrated Bot HQ and utterly destroyed AxiomBot! We found bits of him here and there, but his core was absconded with! Then as we were investigating, SpellingBot and I were taken captive!

I am being allowed to communicate with you for what I consider to be a warped purpose. Apparently our captors are willing to submit to the will of the Axiom community! So here is the situation!

What should be the fate of the Bots?!?!
Only one choice allowed (39 total votes)
Kill GrammarBot! - 0 (0%)
Kill SpellingBot! - 0 (0%)
Kill them both! - 32 (82%)
Let them live! - 7 (18%)
Voting on this poll ends: 04/30/07 10:35 AM

#166644 - 04/25/07 10:49 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: Andrea]
FordPrefect Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Ancaster, Ontario
Perhaps it's just me and me alone but I do find all of this crap very irritating. I've been here almost since the beginning of the forums and always enjoyed things, now I'm seriously thinking about drifting away.

On refection it's probably me and my ever increasing role with my mother's health. Continue on with what you were doing.

Wayne

#166645 - 04/25/07 11:05 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: FordPrefect]
HomeDad Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Central,California
Wayne, it's not just you, I was having the same thoughts, a couple times is fun after that it's just annoying.

#166646 - 04/25/07 11:21 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: HomeDad]
Wid Offline
axiomite

Loc: The Peoples Republic of Il.

The same here I find it very irritating.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#166647 - 04/25/07 11:39 AM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: Wid]
SpellingBot Offline
regular

Help, we are being made into red unicorn bots! It is not looking good for us! They are torturing us by making us listen to BOSE Acoustimass !!1!1!!!11!1

#166648 - 04/25/07 01:33 PM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: Andrea]
PeterChenoweth Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Jacksonville, IL
I was raised by two college english professors. One is a PhD who has written several books about journalism, grammar, and dialects. Some of my family dinner conversations would actually revolve around the idiosyncrasies of regional dialects in the US...

I live in the midwest. It seems there are countless examples of, 'the lawn needs mowed', or 'the crick is ah-fluh-din!', or 'my chikun ain't done cookin', or 'you wanna go play some gulf this weekend?' to be heard in every restaurant, Wal-mart, and gas station. I irritates me to no end. Similarly, it is not hard to understand when to use 'its' and when to use 'it's', but sometimes it's just a simple mistake, and sometimes people just don't know any better. However, I don't flash it in people's faces that they are grammatically-challenged. I might think it, but I don't say it. I was taught that such behavior is rude.

This is an internet forum primarily dedicated to the discussion of equipment made by Axiom. In the off-topic area, we can talk about anything you want. If you want to preach about grammar, start a new thread and go crazy. I'd probably join the debate. But the forum in general is not Grammar 101. Making up a goofy avatar to fulfill some sort of ego trip is childish and irritating.

If you want to talk about the evils of Bose, we're all ears. Love Axiom? Hate Axiom? Welcome to the group and let's talk about it! But if you have no interest other than stirring up pointless debate, you are not welcome here.

I'm done with this topic.

Edited by PeterChenoweth (04/25/07 01:45 PM)
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office

#166649 - 04/25/07 02:57 PM Re: Techno info and the Bot Squad [Re: PeterChenoweth]
danmagicman7 Offline
connoisseur

The villagepeople have spoken! Hang them! Hang them both!

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.