Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Designing first home theatre, a few quesitons.
Joey #172294 07/12/07 01:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

My first thought is you may want to consider going with a different technology other than a projector. With your seating distance you are already 6' too close to the screen.

According to several forums your ideal seating should be about 2.5x the diagonal measurement of your screen. If yours is 92" then your seating distance should be about 19' and you're only at 13' on your diagram.

I am going to have to disagree with you as well, sorry man . I have a 92" screen and sit about 10-11 feet away, I would not have it any other way, I have not heard the 2.5x rule? I have seen the 1.5x rule alot (which would put the ideal seating at 11.5ft). Really, seating distance is all up to the viewer, everyone has difference preferences.

I would recommend a projector, I am seated at 10-11 feet from a 92" projected from a Sanyo Z5, and I love the freaking huge picture!!

photon,

I have probably the setup you are looking for, a 92" screen, M22s, EP500, QS8s. Gimme a PM and mabey we can arrange a demo. However, I warn you, after you have heard my M2s above and below the screen, you will probably want the same (the dialog literally comes from the middle of the screen, its great!).

-Hutz

Last edited by Hutzal; 07/12/07 02:07 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
photon #172295 07/12/07 02:00 PM
devotee
devotee
All you will need to know Grab a coffee make some toast and happy reading

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/g...ater-101-a.html

Last edited by axiom_man; 07/12/07 02:01 PM.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
Hutzal #172296 07/12/07 02:39 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

"I am going to have to disagree with you as well, sorry man . I have a 92" screen and sit about 10-11 feet away, I would not have it any other way, I have not heard the 2.5x rule? I have seen the 1.5x rule alot (which would put the ideal seating at 11.5ft). Really, seating distance is all up to the viewer, everyone has difference preferences."

After reading your post I thought: Wow, did I remember wrong??? I hate to give incorrect advice to anyone. I do agree that it is certainly a personal preference. So I did some quick research and in fact my recomendations were even a little conservative from several other sources. In other words, he "should" sit even farther back than what I stated, not closer.

At any rate, the main reason for my suggestion was for him to consider an easier setup for his speakers. And also so that he could possibly get floor standers, which IMO will give him better sound quality in a room his size.

Great forum though and it certainly keeps us all on our toes!

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172297 07/12/07 03:15 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Let's not forget your point about the increased space for floor-standers with a smaller screen.

Mojo #172298 07/12/07 03:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Let's not forget your point about the increased space for floor-standers with a smaller screen.

Honestly, I would rather have a 92" screen with M22s and an EP500, than a 50" with M80s and an EP500...at least in my room anyway, as it is pretty small.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #172299 07/12/07 04:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wait wait wait.

The resolution of the projector and of the content typically viewed, in addition to the ability (and willingness) to control ambient light are going to make a huge difference regarding the decision to use a projector.

I think this is a pretty good tool...

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

And you have to look at the chart jakeman posted in the middle of this thread...

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showfla...rt=all&vc=1

I completely "get it" about striking a balance, and in photon's room, going to a smaller flatscreen and bigger speakers might make sense. I also think that saying "a 92 inch screen is too big for your viewing distance" oversimplifies the issue somewhat. There is no substitute for "bigger". You just have to decide WHAT you want to be bigger.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Hutzal #172300 07/12/07 05:12 PM
M
M
I think it all depends on whether you plan on listening to music through the speakers or just movies.

When Photon came over last night, he told me that he intends on listening to music through headphones in this new space. But after the "audition", I think he may have had a change of heart .

For music, I would recommend that wall-mounts be avoided if one has the space and money for floor-mounts.

Hutzal #172301 07/12/07 06:38 PM
P
photon Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
Quote:

I am going to have to disagree with you as well, sorry man . I have a 92" screen and sit about 10-11 feet away, I would not have it any other way, I have not heard the 2.5x rule? I have seen the 1.5x rule alot (which would put the ideal seating at 11.5ft). Really, seating distance is all up to the viewer, everyone has difference preferences.

I would recommend a projector, I am seated at 10-11 feet from a 92" projected from a Sanyo Z5, and I love the freaking huge picture!!

photon,

I have probably the setup you are looking for, a 92" screen, M22s, EP500, QS8s. Gimme a PM and mabey we can arrange a demo. However, I warn you, after you have heard my M2s above and below the screen, you will probably want the same (the dialog literally comes from the middle of the screen, its great!).

-Hutz

Lol, Mojo said you would be by

For screen size, I came up with 92" based on the THX and SMPTE calculators and give that I'm gearing towards HD content. With the projector I can go smaller or bigger too, so I probably won't get an actual screen until I play with it for a while to get a comfortable size.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

And yeah, I've seen others that have that size at that distance and are happy with it, so I'll give it a try.

Is your projector 1080p or 720p? I've been thinking of a 1080p projector, but they're a bit more expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost.

I'll send you a PM :-)

Mojo #172302 07/12/07 06:44 PM
P
photon Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
Quote:

I think it all depends on whether you plan on listening to music through the speakers or just movies.

When Photon came over last night, he told me that he intends on listening to music through headphones in this new space. But after the "audition", I think he may have had a change of heart .

For music, I would recommend that wall-mounts be avoided if one has the space and money for floor-mounts.

After talking with the wife this morning about it and looking at our layout again, my wife actually likes the idea of the floor standing speakers a bit more now.. so rather than built in cabinets we may just go with more standard furniture which would leave lots of space for the floor standing speakers.

I was able to sell this with the fireplace we have in the right corner of where the screen will be; I suggested we do a full tile around it since there won't be cabinets right up against it, and I think she'll go with it.

Thanks for the audition Mojo, it was fun and quite impressive

photon #172303 07/12/07 06:45 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
...tap tap tap... Is this thing on?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics