Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks HD DVD exclusive...
Ken.C #173227 08/21/07 04:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Everyone seems to hate Sony but love Blu-ray. Why?

I hate both...do I count?

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #173228 08/21/07 05:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
posted at engadget

So by now you've heard that Paramount has dropped support for Blu-ray right? Good, so has a notable Hollywood director. Michael Bay -- the man behind "Transformers," "Bad Boys," "Pear Harbor," etc. -- just threw down with Paramount in his personal blog. In a forum post titled "Paramount pisses me off!", he states, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!" That's right Mike, aim your PS3 right at their coffers!

-David
Ken.C #173229 08/21/07 05:37 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Quote:

I think they expect the higher capacity of Blu-ray to magically guarantee more content and higher-quality content from studios.

CV #173230 08/21/07 05:40 PM
There's a limit to how much content there is. I mean, how many of you really watched all of the content on X2? I got really bored about halfway through the 15th iteration of the cast talking about stuff which they knew nothing--"I think the special effects in this part are really cool..."

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
terzaghi #173231 08/21/07 06:05 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
replying to no one in particular...

To say that unconverted SD dvd is almost as good as HD is nothing more than wishful thinking. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I’m getting real tired of hearing that nonsense spoken just to validate someone’s stubbornness or whatever other reason they might have for “waiting for the war to be over”. As Michael said, “life’s too short”. Just get over it people, eat your pride and buy the dam machines. - Or don’t…. Just stop trying to convince the world that the differences are subtle……because they are not. The differences are SIGNIFICANT to point that a child can tell.

It’s not easy for me to look at my collection of 800+ dvds and know that they all SUCK in comparison to their HD/BR siblings. I have spent some serious money trying to get everything out of them that I can. I’m using a $3000 video processor with an optional $500 SDI module in it, and I’ve got $800 into an SDI modified Oppo 981. As much as I’d love to believe that my SD/DVD’s running through all that expensive hardware is “almost as good” as HD or BR, it doesn’t come close. Even the reference level DVD’s don’t hold a candle to a poorly transferred HD or BR dvd. Sorry, it ain’t happening.

To make the SD dvd’s even worse, when I watch one in a 2.35 ratio and expand that image to fill my scope screen, UGGG>>>> Not with BR or HD. Expending their image to fill the screen has NO effect on image quality.

Whatever reason a person may have for not investing in the new formats is theirs and I respect their decision. Just be honest about it and stop trying to convince the others who are sitting on the fence that the difference is anything other than what it truly is – SIGNIFICANT.

michael_d #173232 08/21/07 06:21 PM
Thanks for understanding, mdrew. I've seen the HD formats and can see the difference, but I have decided that it's not worth the price I'd have to pay to get it into my home. New receiver, new player, new TV -- practically everything but the Axioms needs replacing.

pmbuko #173233 08/21/07 06:26 PM
That's my issue, aside from the fair use and DRM issues, which I find to be significant.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
michael_d #173234 08/21/07 06:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
mdrew and HomeDad speak the truth. I said it before and I'll say it again (even though I got accused of blasphemy the first time): for me, the upgrade to HD content from SD (even upconverted) was many times more impressive than the upgrade from BOSE to Axiom.

Let that sink in. Remember when you all said you were hearing music for the first time with Axioms? I agree, there's notes I never heard on the old system that I now hear in my Epic 80 HT setup. It rocks.

However, if you blow up SD, or DVD, to 88" and sit 12 feet away, as I do, it leaves a lot to be desired. SD is barely watchable, to the degree that I now only do SD upstairs on a 42" set, 14 feet away. Now, on the big screen, if you pop up some HD DirecTV or HD-DVD, then you can call all the neighbors over to count the stitches on the baseball. It is revolutionary. Talk about your WOW! factor - that is it.

Netflix offers plenty of HD-DVDs and Blu Ray discs for rental purposes. Just don't everybody up and join today or my wait times will go up.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #173235 08/21/07 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
well, for my part, I have not yet plunged into the HD era, I own a 720 HD Sanyo Z5, and watch SD DVDs only. For me it looks pretty good on some DVDs...that is because I have not seen any HD content on my projector yet tho. I am looking to get an HD DVD player this Christmas probably.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
CV #173236 08/21/07 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

I think they expect the higher capacity of Blu-ray to magically guarantee more content and higher-quality content from studios.

But HD-DVD technology right now has more capacity. It has for some time now. We just aren't seeing it yet. Early this year, Blu-Ray was doing dual layers at 25GB a piece as a max capacity. HD-DVD announced a triple layer disc with 17GB per layer, or if you do your math, 51GB. So really HD-DVD has the "potential" for more capacity. But for now, there hasn't been a push to actually need the space above a dual layer HD-DVD, so they aren't putting movies on them.

What you quoted sounds like the spin that Sony put on their PS3 ads early on. "With Blu-Ray, you get nearly double the capacity as with other HD formats."

2008 should bring out the 100GB Blu-Ray disc capacity, but again, with 30GB being enough to do the HD movies with extras, we don't currently need that extra space.

So really, the space thing isn't a factor.... Yet... And by the time it is, we will have several more "layers" at our fingertips to tap into.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020