Print Thread
Rate Thread
HiFi Link assistance needed
#175469 08/26/07 10:52 PM
BobG Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I am having trouble getting my computer audio to play on my receiver. I am using the HiFi Link to connect my computer to my Sherwood Newcastle R965 receiver. I have the HiFi Link connected to the computer's USB port (one of two) and the RCA connectors plugged into the AUX input jacks on the receiver. I am not getting any sound from the receiver. I have the AUX input selected and have set the receiver to receive both digital and analog signals through the AUX set-up menu, and get no sound either way. Do I need to do something to my computer to get it to send the audio out the USB port or does it do that automatically? It could also be that I am missing something on the receiver set-up end, as that is quite confusing to me. Your help is appreciated.

M60's Rotel Nad Music Hall MMF-5
M80's VP150 QS8's Sherwood Newcastle Panasonic Plasma
Algonquins
Re: HiFi Link assistance needed
BobG #175470 08/27/07 01:20 AM
shareholder in the making
Bob, as I reported to you a few months ago, I've used the Hifi-Link for several years to listen to classical music stations streaming over the internet. One thing that comes to mind is to be absolutely certain that the USB output is actually plugged into analog inputs(the Link is a DAC, so there's no digital input involved for the receiver)on your 965. On more than one occasion even experienced users have plugged into outputs, with no result of course. If you're certain that you're plugged in correctly have you carefully followed the installation procedure described in the Xitel manual(mine is a 2002 edition)? If so, does the Sounds section of the control panel on your computer show that the Link(or USB Audio Device, depending on what Windows version you're running)is the "preferred audio device"? More discussion to come, I'm sure.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #175471 08/31/07 12:04 AM
BobG Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks John. I have it working now. Honestly, I still don't know how i fixed it, as the set-up appears to be the same, but I must have changed something on the computer. I do note that when the system is working properly, I no longer get sound out of the computer speakers, but that does not matter. Thanks for recommending this HiFi Link. Without it I could not listen to the Brewers games outside, as my AM radio recption here is no good. Speaking of the Brewers, it is time to go watch them take two of three from the cubs.

M60's Rotel Nad Music Hall MMF-5
M80's VP150 QS8's Sherwood Newcastle Panasonic Plasma
Algonquins
BobG #175472 08/31/07 05:31 AM
Bob, glad to hear that you got it working. Yes, when the Link or other USB device is set to receive the USB output, audio isn't sent to the internal computer speaker. Unplugging the Link cable restores the internal speaker to use.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 453 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup