So I have the M22's for about 2-3 months now and have been pleased with them after moving up from my Cambridge Soundworks ensemble IV package. But I miss the surround.
Browsing Craiglist, I found a pair of used Polk S4's which is a large bookshelf with a 6.5 driver. Specs were good and for $50 bucks with stands, I bought them without listening to them.
The only side by side comparison was with the CS cubes, but that wasn't a fair one. (will never go back to cubes!) So I started comparing the S4 and M22. The Polks were surprisingly good at low to mid levels but mid to high, the Polks suffered and was missing details heard on the M22 and there was no low end on the s4 like the M22, which really surprised me.
Then I played all four in stereo and that really opened up the sound stage. Having two tweeters and an extra drivers really made a difference, and now I really want the M80s.
In fact I'm thinking about adding the m2's to my m22s running in parallel, but since I don't have a center I will start there, maybe with a vp150.
Also with the 2 smaller main speakers in parallel I wont have the low end as the M80.
Too many choices!
So now my S4's are setup as surround cut off at 80hz, and lower db's, until the WAF clears QS8's.