Question on surrounds
#19418 09/11/03 02:08 PM
S
Spiffy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
I am setting up my HT for 7.1. I am planning on using Q8's for the surrounds. The room for HT opens (just past where the left surround speaker would be) into an adjacent room.

My question is if this creates a problem. Without significant wall space beyond the left surround, will I miss out on need sound reflection from the wall?

If so, should I rethink my plans and go to 5.1?

I would appreciate any comments.

By the way, the M60's arrive today and I can't wait to hear them!!!!

Re: Question on surrounds
#19419 09/11/03 04:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In a standard 5.1 configuration, the QS8's would be set at about 1-2' above the listening level, and just a little bit behind the seating area. The rears would then be put directly behind and above you.

Which pair are you having placement issues with? The surrounds to your side, or the rears behind you?

If you can put the surrounds to your sides easily, I'd start there. Stick with that 5.1 setup, and see how you like it. Those QS8 surrounds are amazing! If you watch your movies and still feel like you're lacking something from the rear, then go ahead and make the jump to 7.1.

I recently jumped from 5.1 to 7.1. I replaced some old Polk surrounds I had with QS8's, and added a pair of M2i's to the rear. The QS8's were such a HUGE improvement over the Polks that I almost feel as though I didn't really need those two added speakers in the rear!

If you can easily mount the rears and are having trouble with the sides, I'm not sure how big of an issue that would be. Anyone have experience with their QS8's in the rear position, without any surrounds at the sides?

#19420 09/11/03 06:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
my 8's are in the rear corners of the room. probably not the best placement, being about 10 feet away, but we still hear things flying overhead...mosquitos (sp)??

#19421 09/12/03 12:19 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Based upon my room layout, I too have my QS8's (3 of them for 6.1) on the back wall - surrounds are about 12 feet apart with the center back in between. I use a DSP mode on my receiver that "moves" the surrounds to the side (it really works better than you would think) and I get a great soundstage. Even without the DSP mode, the separation and soundstage, especially with the QS8's, is very good.

Cheers,

Doug

#19422 09/12/03 01:03 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
If I understand this correctly, you just want to know if you will not be getting the full effect of the left 'Q' as there is no 'rear' wall to reflect the sound ? If that's the case, sure, there will be a difference between the left and right, but nothing that would stand out.. Remember, most of the audio thru the surrounds is 'effects' type of stuff.. The odds that you would be able to hear a difference between the SOUND of a bullet flying across the room from left to right and then right to left would be slim to none.. But, you WOULD be able to tell that the bullets went both ways, as the Q's are the BEST at what they do, and very very forgiving to room placement..

LFE ! The rest is just details..

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup