AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (exlabdriver, brwsaw, oakvillematt), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13315 Members
11 Forums
22871 Topics
404147 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17766
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13332
CV 11189
MarkSJohnson 10874
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200255 - 03/13/08 09:47 PM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: MarkSJohnson]
ZG Offline
veteran

Loc: Canadian in NYC
I've bought several things from Gemm despite that nasty photo. Sorry guys, it's not sexy or in good taste either. ;-p I tend to not buy much there though because of Gemm's service charges. But, I always look there for good deals on stuff I find elsewhere. Every now and again they have a better deal, even with their high service fees.

#200263 - 03/13/08 11:06 PM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: ZG]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Whose definition of "good taste" is the correct one against which I should calibrate my own?

#200273 - 03/13/08 11:54 PM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: MarkSJohnson]
duckman Offline
devotee

Loc: kansas
Don't forget linear tracking such as this one as well. No arc thus perfect alignment. It seems like they had there own disadvantages, I don't quite recall as I havn't shopped for a tt in 25 years though. I mowed lawns all summer to buy one of these plus an ortofon cart. I still remember how proud of it I was when I bought it, still am for that matter.

#206051 - 04/29/08 06:23 PM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: littleb]
ClayB Offline
buff

Loc: Minneapolis,MN USA
 Originally Posted By: littleb
I've been thinking sometime about getting a quality turntable to play my old vinyl. I have a couple of questions, though. Why do some TTs have straight tone arms while others are S shaped? Is DD preferable to belt driven?

Both arm types are designed to deal with tracking error. Both work, but the S arm will always have more mass (bad), and counter- balancing the arm will not make mass go away. DD was made popular in the 70s and 80s by companies based in japan. Their marketing positioned belt-drive as old fashioned. In reality, belts work better (with a hi-mass platter). The DD motors would tend to 'hunt' for the correct speed with their Phase Lock Loop feedback system.

Most audiophile tables now are belt drive with a straight arm. If you are looking for a good entry model, check out:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Turntables-Debut-III-Basic-Black?sc=2&category=352

And the Needle Doctor is a world class outfit. I am blessed to have them in my town.

#206068 - 04/29/08 07:43 PM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: ClayB]
oldskoolboarder Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Menlo Park, CA
I have the Pro-ject Debut III. Good basic TT. I would recommend upgrading the cartridge from the stock OM5. I got an OM10 on ebay for about $30 and it's a marked improvement.

#206225 - 04/30/08 11:04 AM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: oldskoolboarder]
ClayB Offline
buff

Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
I have the Pro-ject Debut III. Good basic TT. I would recommend upgrading the cartridge from the stock OM5. I got an OM10 on ebay for about $30 and it's a marked improvement.

Agreed. The great thing about the Debut III is that there are some very nice upgrades you can do as/if your appreciation for vinyl grows.

The first is as oldskoolboarder points out, the stylus/cartridge, and if you stick with the OM series you can upgrade just the stylus, and not have to deal with recalibrating the body, and save some cash.

Next, you can upgrade to smaller steel platter to the full size acrylic platter. Very similar to the Rega upgrade for the P1.

Then you can get the Pro-ject Speedbox, which adds quartz accuracy 60hz regulation to the AC power input which in turn regulates the platter speed.

Tasty stuff!

Edited by ClayB (04/30/08 11:05 AM)

#206344 - 04/30/08 08:10 PM Re: Vinyl hangout….. [Re: duckman]
ClayB Offline
buff

Originally Posted By: duckman
Don't forget linear tracking such as this one as well. No arc thus perfect alignment. It seems like they had there own disadvantages, I don't quite recall as I havn't shopped for a tt in 25 years though.

wow, what an amazing looking machine! ;^)

You're right; the Linear Trackers replaced one problem with another, and the problem(s) they introduced (resonance and bearing wear and slop) were more difficult and expensive to deal with.

Good carts are now designed to deal with most of the tracking angle variances. You just have to make sure they are set up perfectly to start!

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.