Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is 23' x 9.25' too small for M80TIs?
#1978 03/10/02 07:36 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
My home theater room is L-shaped, which one "leg" of the "L " 16.5' x 11.5', and the other leg 11.666' x 9.25' (measurements for the second leg don't include the overlap with the first leg).

Anyhow, I currenly use the first leg for my home theater, but I'm considering switching to the second leg. With that, I'd have a 23' x 9.25' room (this measurement includes the overlap with the first leg).

Dimensions for Alex's home theatre room

Firstly, does moving my setup to the second leg sound like a good idea? I use my system for about 80% home theater, and 20% music -- so I want to ensure that I have enough room front-to-back, so that neither the mains nor the surrounds are too close to the listening-couch.

Getting back to my setup, though, I currently have a pair of Phase Technology PC3s connected to an Outlaw Audio 1050 with a PSB C6i center-channel and Yamaha NS-A636 surrounds.

I'm thinking about replacing the whole setup with Axiom speakers, though maybe one section at a time (mains and center, then surrounds later). However, considering the dimensions of my room, would the M80s be too large for the room, or would the M60s be more appropriate?

Alex Bischoff

Re: Is 23' x 9.25' too small for M80TIs?
#1979 03/10/02 08:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Alex,
If you are planning to use the long 23-ft. length of the leg and you want really clean high-level home theater dynamics, I'd choose the M80s. On the other hand, if you'll be sitting closer to the speakers, the M60s will give you lots of dynamic range, very clear mids and solid rich bass. Insofar as using the larger volume of the big "leg" for your home theater, I think it's a good idea. The sense of envelopment and the soundstage are usually enhanced in larger rooms.

It's also a function of personal taste in volume levels; for years when I reviewed speakers at the National Research Council in Ottawa, Canada, I always had to sit further back than my two colleagues on the listening panel, because they liked their music somewhat louder than I did (about 3 dB, if I recall). But 3 dB can mean the difference between "uncomfortably loud" and "just right." If I moved my chair back 3 feet or so, the level was fine for me.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup