Rate Thread
Pioneer elite vsx45tx with what?
#20708 09/24/03 08:39 PM
S
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
I just got this reciever, and now I need to find speakers to go with it. I am looking at the axiom m80tis dahlquist dq-10s monitor audio silver s8s and any others people could suggest to accomadate my system... I watch a LOT of movies and listen to a lot of loud music... What the best for my reciever?
Thanks
Jeff

Re: Pioneer elite vsx45tx with what?
#20709 09/24/03 09:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jeff,

If you use the forum search feature on "dahlquist" or "monitor audio," you will see a number of threads/posts mentioning these speakers in comparison with the Axioms. As for the receiver, my 45TX has never had a problem driving my 4-ohm Hales speakers.

#20710 09/25/03 03:21 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Jeff,

I'm not familiar at all with Dahlquist's sound qualites. I can tell you however that I enjoyed the M80's tremendously. Monitor Audio S8's and even S10's were on my top list. But after listening to the M80's I went back to listen and to test more rigorously the S8's. To me the S8's don't even come close for clarity and detail. The S10's may come close but from what I remember, the dealer had to fiddle with the foam inserts to tune the bass properly. I didn't have to do this with the M80's regardless of the genre of music I was listening to. The other plus on the M80's side is that it is much lower in price. It's amazing how cheap it is with the quality of sound they give. Needless to say the M80's are at the top of the list. I just have 2 other speaker brands to test (all the while I'm still saving). If you're interested, read my most recent post comparing the M60 & M80 (post name is "M60 & M80"). In the end though you really will have to decide which speakers sound best to you. It doesn't matter what anyone else says. As long as you're happy with your choice and you get enjoyment from listening to them, you can't go wrong. Good luck!!

Aeromos
#20711 09/25/03 05:12 AM
S
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
How did you get to test these speakers since they are only available online?
Thanks
Jeff

#20712 09/25/03 05:19 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Check the "Auditioning Axioms in your Area" thread in Questions and Comments. There may be someone in your area you can audition them from.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#20713 09/25/03 02:04 PM
old hand
old hand
Hey Jeff,

To answer your question, when I called Axiom they themself told me of a local dealer that carries them. This dealer loves Axiom so I guess that's why he carries them. I was happy to hear this of course since I didn't have to order before I heard them. He also carries NHT's and Wharfedale but I didn't listen to those. According to the dealer, the Axiom's were the best speakers he had there. He would put the Axiom's up against other speakers 2-3 times the cost.
So far I would have to agree with him.

Aeromos
#20714 09/25/03 03:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Too bad their listening rooms(or sections within a long wall)isn't that great. One nice thing is that the prices are cheaper ... the other problem is that they do not stock any high end lines. Majority of their business is car audio and big RPTV. I hope you had a talk with John or its it Paul. The engineer who is friends with the owner and "says" he doesnt work there but is just friends of the owner. Kinda funny that he is always there and doesnt he have a full time job? Or is it his job to tell all the customers that he doesnt work there and just helps about.
Nonetheless they have EXCELLENT customer service. I'm thinking they have some relation to the real Axiom family since I believe they are the only dealers left.

#20715 09/28/03 02:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Saturn,

I take it you've been there too. I actually never met this friend of the owner. It doesn't really make a difference to me though. I wouldn't take anyone's word to how a system sounds anyway unless I've heard it myself. An example would be B&W speakers. A lot of people love them. To me they're not that great (probably the difference to me is the type of music I listen to). I've actually talked to the owner himself (George). All I know is that I've been really impressed with the M80's. I'm wondering myself if they have some kind of relation to the Axiom family. I've also been told by the owner's brother that they can get fairly cheap pricing on different components that they don't carry through friends of George(owner). Didn't get into details since I still have to save for the M80's (lol).

Aeromos
#20716 09/28/03 03:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hey Aeromos;

I had B&W's as my first step into audio. Great bass. muddied mids. Most people used to like this. That was 12-13 years ago.
Today people still like em...they sound like they do in the past.. exept for the CM series and the Nautilus line. I personally think the midrange is pretty colored and all muddy. I believe Craig has had a recent listen to them and he believes they are still pretty muddy mids. Not much detail.
I'm familiar with Monitor Audio. Their good. Comparable to sounds of the Axioms .. but..the bass on any of the SIlver line can be ruly. I had the Silver S6 for 3 months. M60 sounds somewhat the same but it has a tighter bass. Silver series sounds better with lots of power. Sounded somewhat different between Rotel receiver @ 100wx5 vs my Bryston 4B 250wx 2. Better with the Brystons. The Monitor Audio is definitely much more than the Axioms.
The M80 and M60 are excellent speakers. Also if you get a chance ... give the Triangle Zerius a try. It gives the M60 a run for its money and personally gives the M80 a run for its sweet sound.
http://www.triangle-fr.com/gammes-2003/zerius-202-gb.htm

#20717 09/28/03 11:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Hey Saturn,

I totally agree about the B&W's. They are a bit muddy in the mids but especially in the bass especially when I had some hip-hop spinning. The bass just seemed to go wacky and sound real loose and boomy. I personally found the M80's tight bass more pleasing than the sometimes unruly bass of the Monitor Audio S8's (I never heard the S6's but did also listen to the S10's which were a little better than the S8's but still required some tuning with the inserts). Also I loved how much more detail the M80's provided with the mids and highs. As I've messaged you, I am going to check out the speakers you mentioned. I'll keep you posted.

Aeromos

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters