Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Receiver Sound Quality?
Max3 #209727 05/28/08 07:14 PM
local
local
On the a/v sync issue ... anyone know if having the source and the AVR support HDMI 1.3 is enough, or does the display need to support it too? I plan on upgrading to an AVR anyway, but my 61" DLP only does HDMI 1.2 and I'm wondering if a new optical player and AVR will make any difference in the sync issue that's plagued me.

Last edited by anthony11; 05/28/08 07:14 PM.
Ken.C #209728 05/28/08 07:30 PM
M
hobbyist
hobbyist
M
Like I said, the difference was very, very slight but noticeable (if you looked for it) at high volume. If I were supposed to get 'steered' in one way or another I can't see how creating such a minuscule difference would be advantageous. I don't remember being told directly, but I seem to remember something about a 'direct' setting without using any stereo/dd/dplII/dts/THX processing at all. Again...who knows...

p.s.- as a side note, I did informed him that although I WAS going to buy the Sonus Fabers from him, I was NOT going to buy the receiver from him. I said I was going to buy it off the internet for much less than MSRP, regardless of what conclusion I draw.

You don't know ANYthing, until you've learned SOMEthing.
fredk #209771 05/29/08 05:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Rich. I followed a long thread on DACs over at audoiholics that was very interesting. It turns out that there is not that much difference in cost between the mid price and high end DACs anymore. I have often wondered what difference the DAC would make. Needless to say, it was hard to conclude who was right.

I wonder if anyone has ever done any blind testing?

I'm not aware of a study regarding DACs but my experience with them over the years is that there is a significant audible difference between a low end and better performing DAC.

The audible quality difference manifests itself in the specs. Better sounding DACs have higher n signal to noise ratios, flatter FR linearity, better clocking, less data rounding and therefore more resolution as well as lower jitter. It continues to be an area of considerable development with price points dropping for older DAC designs. DACs like all audio equipment exhibit diminishing incremental performance as you pay more for smaller improvements.

I recently spent several months auditioning standalone DACs before settling on a Benchmark USB DAC to go with a Squeezebox Duet I recently purchased. The Squeezebox comes with a reasonable Wolfson DAC but it isn't nearly as transparent, detailed and smooth sounding as the Benchmark.

John
jakeman #209772 05/29/08 05:34 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Spendy DAC, but I'd love to hear it.

Max3 #209773 05/29/08 05:49 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Max3
Anyways, the blind test was between the Yammy rx-v3800 , Denon 3808, and Pioneer Elite vsx-94txh. The differences were very slight, and not discernable until reasonably loud (which I listen to). Being played through the speakers I was going to buy (Sonus Faber Concertino Domus) I noticed an audible difference between the receivers on the same Audioslave song in the vocals primarily.

I don't want to beat this to death, yes this was blind which is good. But it doesn't take in to account whether the receivers were calibrated to be played back at the exact same volume. Most times when there's a slight increase in volume during comparisons the louder one is chosen to be better...

By the look of your write up you were comparing the receivers in depth and did your homework on them. As long as anyone gets the receiver that fits their needs and are happy with it is all that matters.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #209778 05/29/08 12:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Regardless of where you fall into this discussion, I agree, happiness is the real key.

Do the research, listen and compare using the best methods that are available to you, then get what makes you feel happy within your budget. Nothing worse than that "what if?" feeling. I usually give into it later on anyways so it ends up costing me twice as much.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #209799 05/29/08 02:26 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: CV
Spendy DAC, but I'd love to hear it.

If you are ever in these parts let me know and I'll demonstrate how different the Wolfson and Benchmark DACs sound.

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020