terzaghi #211029 06/09/08 03:28 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I still go to the theater. I'm too impatient to wait to see certain films.

Re: Why you NEED to have a HT room.
CV #211036 06/09/08 04:46 AM
That is a weakness you must overcome, young grasshopper.

pmbuko #211051 06/09/08 12:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
We still take in a movie at the theatre on ocasion but I prefer watching at home.

Dave
DaveG #211057 06/09/08 01:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Exactly my experiences, ctown. I hate going to the movie theater. Hate it.

I still end up going once or twice a year with friends or family, just to keep the peace when I'm out-voted on 'what-do-we-want-to-do-today' votes.

I would have to say that 4 out of every 5 movies I've gone to in the past six or eight years have been basically ruined by some aspect of being in a public theater. Be it rowdy or talkative children/teens, beeping or ringing cell phones, coughing/hacking people, dismal audio, broken film, or a disgusting theater. Don't even get me started on the prices.

The last straw for me was a few years ago whlie sitting in a higher-end theater (bigger widescreen, 'deluxe' sound, stadium seats, premium ticket pricing, etc) and about 20 minutes into the film there was a very audible POP from the sound system. The center channel just dissapeared. Poof. Gone. Great for dialog. After a few minutes, a couple of us went to complain to the management and were told (at least I was) that the other channels were still working and so there was nothing they could do. Nice...

I can wait 6-8 months for the DVD, no matter what the film.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #211064 06/09/08 03:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I share the above sentiment. Add a 100" projection screen and a Blu Ray player, and the experience is all set for me. With the better audio and astounding video, I won't be heading to the theater any time soon, unless it's for "event" films, like Indy 4. Mostly, I can wait til the Blu Ray comes out.

Add to this the fact that buying the Blu Ray movie is cheaper than my wife and I going to the movies, hiring a baby sitter, buying overpriced snacks and guzzling gas, and I'm ahead of the game. Plus, I have a souvenir copy of the film to play whenever I damn well please.

Besides, my movie theater doesn't serve cold beer.

Capn_Pickard #211076 06/09/08 05:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When a movie comes out that I am very exited to see, I can't wait for the home version. It's also a nice outing for the wife and I although if she picked the movie, odds are that I'm sitting there thinking I could be kayaking.

It's only been recently that our bigger theater upgraded to a very impressive surround sound and bass system. Prior to that, audio was always a letdown compared to the Axioms setup at.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #211102 06/09/08 10:02 PM
I
local
local
I
I share the same sentiments. Going out to movies with the family or friends is once or twice a year these days and I always feel cheated with the popcorn and pop prices. I built a dedicated a home theater room starting two years ago that is still an ongoing project. I don't think paying to go out to the movies as a family on a weekly basis every week for the next decade could end up costing me more than what I already spent on the room.

Was it worth it? If you ask my wife, the answer would be a resounding no. But, for me, the process of setting up the room, buying the components, calibrating and recalibrating, and sounding off from guys here have been quite enjoyable. The audiovisual fulfillment factor now far exceeds what I get from the local theater, and I have total control over every aspect of a movie. So for me, it's been well worth the expense and the time.

John

John
Our HT

ihifi #211103 06/09/08 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My wife and I both dislike going to the Cinema, she agrees that the Axioms provide superior sound, and the food is much cheaper at the local grocery store!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #211113 06/10/08 12:49 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
It has to be a pretty darn good movie that I’m all excited about seeing before I subject myself to the theater anymore. I enjoy the experience about as much as I do flying coach with an elbow in one rib to the right, an obese dude with bad BO to the left, an infant with an ear infection in front of me and a six year old who likes to kick the seat at random intervals behind me.

Although, I do have a hell of a weak spot for kettle corn and junior mints (and refuse to buy either for the house or I’d be sporting a 30 pack by now)….. However, the picture is better and the sound better at home and I just love that pause button…..Pause, go upstairs, mix a drink…. There is one movie theater in the big city that’s a micro brew and restaurant attached to an older movie theater that they’ve remodeled. The seats are couches with little tables and you can order some very good food and a micro beer. The movies are usually about six months old, but it sure is a much nicer experience than the big theaters with ity-bity screens and bose cubes (or whatever it si they use nowadays).

Lately, we've been going bowling instead of spending the evening when in the city instead of in the movie theater. I have no frigin idea what I’m doing and can’t break 100, but it sure is fun. A whole lot cheaper too.

Joe_in_SC #211117 06/10/08 01:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Joe_in_Ct
Factor in the price of gas ...

Well that totally changes things. Now we're down to 12 movies and dropping daily. lol

Scott

Scott

My HT
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,007 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup