Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Tube amps vs solid state with todays technology
#21217 10/03/03 05:48 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Before I continue, I'd like to state that I am very intrigued by tube systems. My only argument with you, 2x6, is that you simply won't admit that tube sound is innaccurate. Remember that this is not necessarily a bad thing. The even-order harmonics that the tubes add are not on the source material, therefore they are innacurate. It's simple logic that has nothing to do with science.

Feed signal A into a SS amp, it outputs A.
Feed signal A into a tube amp, it outputs A + B.

Neither I nor anyone else here is saying that tube amplification butchers the music. We're just trying to tell people why tube amps sound different than solid state.

There are many different audiophile philosophies out there. Many people subscribe to the purity ideal -- in which all components should be as transparent and neutral as possible, passing an unaltered signal from the source material to the speaker. Others are willing to forgo neutrality for a sound that is more pleasing to their ears. (Why would people buy Rockets, otherwise... ) Neither philosophy is more correct than the other. This is an entirely subjective hobby. As has been said again and again, follow your ears.

If I hear a tube amp that I cannot live without, I will definitely buy it (funds allowing, of course). But I'll buy it knowing I'm getting innacurate sound.

#21218 10/03/03 08:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I take offense to the fact that every single time we have a thread in which someone posts a scientifically provable statement you make a point of belittling them in an obnoxiously condescending manner, citing your own phenomenal experience and dismissing that of anyone that disagrees with you. Yes, you jerk, I have heard both. I recognize that audio is a subjective hobby and that some find the coloration that tube amps produce as pleasing. More power to them. I also recognize that not everyone prefers that coloration which is why I suggested that it's best if the individual curious in the tech were to listen himself.

If you can't end your smug dismissal of anyone with a differing opinion and certainly of those with scientific fact behind them I'll simply ignore your "contributions".

#21219 10/03/03 09:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

(Why would people buy Rockets, otherwise... )

Whoa, you have guts, Peter! (ducking low here...)

#21220 10/03/03 09:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Semi on, I think you take offense whenever anyone disagrees with you. You may think you know what you're talking about, but I don't. I have both a tube system and 4 solid state systems. I like them all. I am not blinded by theory, or what I think I know about physics or engineering. I trust my ears. You can trust what you like, but clearly, you do not react well unless someone agrees with you. So, if disagreeing with you makes me a jerk, in your eyes, I don't have a problem with that. I have my opinion, and painful as it may be for you, it is not the same as yours. That's something only one of us has a problem with. Work on it.

BTW, I like the argument above about how nature favors odd ordered harmonics over even ordered harmonics. I mean, that's silly, isn't it?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#21221 10/03/03 10:11 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
You noticed that too, did ya ?

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#21222 10/03/03 10:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Semi on, I think you take offense whenever anyone disagrees with you.

]

No, you're just a jackass. This is not simply disagreeing. Had you at any point endeavored anything resembly a calm and reasoned contribution with worthwhile content, I would not have reacted as such. Instead you offered nothing resembling a civil debate. You chose this sort of retort:

In reply to:

Hi fellas

Just laughing after reading your posts. I think y'all should put away your Nobel Prizes, get out the Q-Tips, put away your preconceived prejudices and kick back with a nice tube amp system.

That's not a disagreement. That's an insult and it only proves your total inability to address any given situation with a reasoned and well formulated reply. It also makes you totally worthless in the context of these fora.

In reply to:

I have both a tube system and 4 solid state systems.

Do you want a cookie?

In reply to:

I trust my ears.

And had you actually possessed the reading comprehension skills of a 10 year old, you'd have noticed that this was precisely my point. You like the coloration so for you it's a worthwhile product.

In reply to:

You can trust what you like, but clearly, you do not react well unless someone agrees with you.

Bullshit. You didn't actually disagree with me. You actually stated exactly what I did only you were able to toss off a few insults at anyone that doesn't share your opinion. How do you think a tube amp is able to produce the warmer, more pleasurable sound to you over the ruler flat capabilities of solid state? It changes the music! To you, it's a good change. It may not be for others. That's the beauty of the hobby.

In reply to:

, if disagreeing with you makes me a jerk, in your eyes, I don't have a problem with that.

Again, your reading comprehension skills are poor. We actually are of the same opinion regarding tube amps. You're just insulting to anyone that doesn't share your appreciation of them which is what makes you a jerk.

In reply to:

That's something only one of us has a problem with.

And that person is you. You addressed a group of people stating their opinion on whether or not tube amps color the music in a fashion that is appealing to them by telling them all they need to use Q-Tips. That you're incapable of grasping this concept is truly disturbing.

#21223 10/03/03 10:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, Semi-on, I hear all your yellin', name callin', and cussin', I guess that makes you even more right that you were before.

I just can't help myself, though, I am laughing at you. You may think you know it all, but, to me that's always been a hallmark of a fool. That's about as harsh a word as you'll get from me though. Enjoy your music! Maybe you should take something to calm you down a bit.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#21224 10/03/03 10:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I just can't help myself, though, I am laughing at you. You may think you know it all, but, to me that's always been a hallmark of a fool.

Coming from someone that started the thread by telling everyone with a different opinion that they were wrong with no substantiation and then insulted the lot.

You may find this helpful.

In reply to:

Maybe you should take something to calm you down a bit.

Tell you what, you act like a rational and intelligent individual for once and I'll be calm and collected.

#21225 10/03/03 10:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Can you guys take this kind of thread over to AVS? Or at least handle it through Private Messages? This thread is no longer even romotely on topic, it's become nothing more than a shouting match. The rest of the Axiom community has little interest in hearing/reading this.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop. I think I speak for EVERYONE here that the Axiom boards are really enjoyable because this kind of ugliness rarely crops up here. Let's try to keep it that way. Come on...we're just talking about amps here, nothing to get so worked up about.

Perhaps the Axiom boards need a moderator that can close threads like this before they get completely out of hand? If any of the good people from Axiom are listening...I'm available.

#21226 10/03/03 10:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
well said Craig, I think a moderator is exactly what is needed. Unfortunately it's looking more and more like a full-time job for you.

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020