AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (kah68, alan, fredk), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13328 Members
11 Forums
22918 Topics
405142 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13340
CV 11236
MarkSJohnson 10939
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2147 - 03/20/02 05:41 PM sonic holography
HOLOGRAM Offline
hobbyist

Loc: California
Has anyone tried the Carver sonic hologrphy feature with Axiom speakers? I'm thinking of purchasing and old Carver preamp and wonder what the holography feature sounds like.

#2148 - 03/20/02 06:40 PM Re: sonic holography
alan Online   content
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
I haven't tried the Carver Sonic Holography processor with Axiom speakers, but it will work the same way with most any speakers.

To use a cliche from the '60s, it's far out, man! Acutally, too far out. Depending on the source material, the results are wildly unpredictable. I recall a Neil Young rock recording where Neil sounded as if he were singing behind my right ear. It was very peculiar. It's not realistic in any sense but for weird effects, it can be entertaining. I also recall it's very critical where you sit; the effect disappears if you turn your head to either side. And you have to be equidistant between the two stereo speakers to get the best effect.

Have fun with it if you decide to get it. Eventually, the novelty wears off, I found.

Regards,

#2149 - 03/21/02 12:52 AM Re: sonic holography
HOLOGRAM Offline
hobbyist

Loc: California
Far out man! Sounds grooovy. lol

Thanks Alan! I think I will give it a try. If nothing else maybe it will add some life to my dull, overly flat and poorly recorded disc. And it will give me another toy to keep me busy for a little while. I gota have my toys. lol

#2150 - 03/21/02 04:42 AM Re: sonic holography
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds similar to the effect from the old (original) Polk speakers (cant remember the model #) The ones that had separate and direct connections between the L and R towers. Each tower had separate speakers that were wired out of phase and cancelled the other speakers "phase shift" (or something like that). Anyway, this design produced the most uncanny effect I have ever heard! You had to sit in an exact "sweet spot" in the center but the sounds came from all around! It was pretty freaky man!

Good listening!

Randyman

#2151 - 03/21/02 05:50 PM Re: sonic holography
BBIBH Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
I would agree with Alan on the "gee whiz" affect of the technology. Bob Carver is a smart man, but some of his designs were considered ......bizarre. I remember speaking with some Carver employees who used this phrase when discussing some of Bob's "design inventions" - they called them "Bobism's". Thye felt that while there was a different technical approach that created a different sound, they were more novelty than revolutionary.

But if you like to play, it is an interesting piece.....for a short period anyway!

Mike

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.