Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help me set up my VTF-2
#21546 10/08/03 02:06 AM
mhorgel Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I am less than 72 hours from receiving my VTF-2, so thoughts of how to set it up are foremost in my mind. I have an Onkyo TX-SR 800, M60ti's, VP100, QS4's x2 (soon to be x4 for surrounds and rears). I understand that the VTF-2 has its ports on the left and right sides, so obviously my current setup of my sub being between my monitor and my right M60 will have to change.

I also know that you flip a switch on the amp and plug one port to get it inot max extension mode, but does it matter which port? Will rotating the sub 90 degrees to the left or right make any difference? Should I set my M60's to small and use the 80 hz cutoff? Should I just experiment and find out what works for my room?

I am willing to do some experimenting to find the best setup, but I know there are folks here who have done this before and your input would give me a great starting point.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. What's on the CD included with the sub?

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
Re: Help me set up my VTF-2
#21547 10/08/03 05:20 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Mark, since nobody has jumped in yet, I'll offer my thoughts. First, as long as you leave at least 3-4" breathing room for the open port, that's okay. Independent of that, the tightest corner behind the M60s is generally the best place for a sub. Which port you leave open doesn't really change the performance, but it might be better to have the open one facing more away from you, and you can rotate the sub to any orientation that suits you. Yes, set all speakers small with the 80hz crossover on the 800. Switch the VTF-2 internal crossover out and set the 25hz extension. The CD(which the manual will describe)contains classical music selections emphasizing bass(St. Saens 3rd, etc.)plus pink noise and low bass tones. Enjoy.

Last edited by JohnK; 10/08/03 05:26 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#21548 10/08/03 05:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you email Dr. Hsu with your room dimensions and a basic floor layout, he'll tell you the best place to put the sub. Shoot him a note.

#21549 10/08/03 06:59 PM
old hand
old hand
I second the suggestion to email Dr. Hsu. I assumed the best location would be up from next to the mains in the corner. However, given my room layout, he suggested in the rear corner near the couch. Very happy with the results.

Experiment with settings on the sub and the receiver. You'll know when you're getting close.

#21550 10/08/03 09:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I understand that Dr. Hsu is a big advocate of the "near-field" subwoofer placement, which I haven't seriously tried yet (for example, placing the sub as a "side table" right besides your listening couch).

Just in case you weren't aware, here is a web form for placement advice -- you don't have to use the form if you prefer a straight email, but at least it gives you a good idea as to what sort of info Dr. Hsu needs to help you effectively.

Incidentally, the velocity of the air going in/out of the port(s) on the VTF subs is EXTREMELY HIGH when the sub is driven close to the port resonance frequency (in case of my VTF-3, it is at ~16Hz). Because if this, I felt much better when I placed the VTF-3 so that the open port fires sideways toward a completely open space -- if you have to place the sub so that the port is facing a wall, I would give it a VERY generous breathing room, like one foot of clearance.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup