Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Appreciation of new Axioms
tomtuttle #217685 08/09/08 01:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm pretty sure that Alan has commented here a few times that to his ears, even MP3s at 320 kbps are transparent (i.e. they sound the same as the source). I could be misquoting this, but if so, it's not intentional. Some folks certainly disagree that these files are transparent, and I truly believe they can tell the difference. Unfortunately for me though, I cannot, so I went with all 320kbps MP3s for ripping my CD collection. ( more about that here if you're interested, this was a related but broader discussion).

I'm completely in the minority I realize, but at least run an ABX test for yourself before committing one way or the other. MP3s are a great compromise of storage space, compatibility (more key for me than anything), and great sound. One good way to do an ABX test is to set up an iTunes (or any music player) playlist and include 3 songs. Two of the songs are the exact same song, ripped in either MP3 320kbps or in FLAC (or another lossless format). The third is the same song, but ripped in the opposite format. Then click shuffle on your playlist, hit play, and challenge yourself to pick the song that is different. When I did this, I failed every time (even luck would indicate I should have guessed right after a while, but I didn't!) \:\)

If your ears can pick up the difference, then definitely go with the big lossless files and be proud that you are indeed such a discerning listener. If not, MP3s might work alright for you too.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #217778 08/11/08 12:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I can only say for sure that my older MP3 library, where everything was only 128 kbps, was very noticeably lacking in quality. Some songs took the hit much more than others. When first experimenting with FLAC, my totally 'audio unconcerned' wife could tell me she preferred the flac over the MP3s when played on the Axioms in a simple blind test. I tried to trick her a couple of times by playing the same version twice and she still picked it up.

I re-ripped all my MP3s to 256 kbps when I did the flac conversion. I experimented with 320 but couldn't tell the difference between 128, 256 or 320 on my Creative Zen player with original earphones. (I'd like to try again with my much improved Shure phones.) Deciding up on 256 for my MP3 player was really just a mental compromise between space and the paranoia my speakers had created.

I never seriously A-B tested 320 on my Axioms. I tried but I didn't trust my ears as I was doing my own switching. For those of you lucky enough to sometimes visit each other in person, I'd like to suggest that when you are comparing speakers (as I know you will be doing) that also you have some MP3 vs flac testing fun and report back to us. Maybe even compare two or three bitrates in MP3. It would make for an interesting review.

As is often mentioned though, whatever makes you happy is always the correct choice.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #217900 08/12/08 10:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Completely agree on 128 kbps versus 256 or 320.. it's night & day and worth the amount of time to rerip everything if the majority of your music is in 128 kbps MP3 (which mine was as well).

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #218003 08/14/08 04:35 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Seems like I am in the same boat as some people. Most of my MP3 library is 128/192 MP3 and I am not going back to rip 60GB of music. I think I will just pick the CDs I am going to listen to on my stereo and rip those to FLAC in a separate library. At least now days storage is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup