jakewash #219189 08/27/08 12:35 PM
N
Nick B Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
N
jakewash,

I thought that itunes would be able to do the conversion of my wma lossless files to their acc lossless. But, what I am concerned about is if there will be any degradation in sound quality by going through this process. I thought that the way a lossless codec works is that it sort of zips up the file to take less space but not to the point where it will effect the sound quality. So the device can unzip it right before it plays it. It seems like as long as itunes was competently coded then it should just unzip the wma lossless codec and rezip it in the acc lossless codec and there is no sound degradation. Can anyone confirm this?

If I won't lose any sound quality then I can just save A LOT of time and let itunes convert all of my files in Windows Media Player to acc.

- Nick

Re: using wma in itunes
Nick B #219194 08/27/08 01:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your assumption is correct. There will be no loss in the conversion.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #219213 08/27/08 03:24 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, but as Eric said, you are correct. I haven't noticed a lack of anything when my wife uses her Ipod on the Axioms, then again I am not as familiar with her music.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
CV #219370 08/28/08 07:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A web page you might like then.

For the non-conformists. Anythingbutipod.com

The iPod is a great product but I won't buy one until their pricing reflects the actual technology instead of the hype. You can get so much more for less if you you are into being cool by being uncool.

Reminds me, heard an interesting radio interview of a famous blogger whose name I didn't catch talking about his published article about how it's no longer hip to be a hipster. Sounded interesting (well amusing anyways) if anybody has a reference, let me know. I'm too lazy to search as I'm shutting down for the day.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #219374 08/28/08 08:56 PM
Thing is, the interface is often neglected as something worth paying for. I'm not that big on the current iPhone Classic OS, but the older OS with the scrollwheel is masterful.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #219409 08/29/08 01:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'd actually agree with that, unless you have an 72 GB playlist, then you get dizzy watching your thumb spin. However, to be fair, I think newer models have improved this feature by having the scroll speed continually increase the longer you wheel up or down.

For me it's about comparing the $ cost per Gig of memory along with the additional value add features that I might actually use. I payed $130 dollars less (no sale) for my 80Gb player verses an 80GB iPod. It also has an FM tuner which is somewhat weak but I like to use occasionally at the office and I am surprised to say i find the voice memo feature very handy at a times. The interface is only very slightly less intuitive than an ipod's and certainly I'd rate it as very easy to use. Is the wheel worth 130 plus dollars over my 'wheel free' unit with more features? For some maybe, but not for me personally.

Notice I didn't mention the name of my player although you could easily pick it out. I left out the name because I don't mean this to be a 'my product is better than yours' type response.

In fact, I'd argue Apple has an amazing product with the iPod and they are still not at a sales juncture where they even need to consider pricing it cheaper. Why would they? However, I'm a spreadsheet nerd and when I compared all my possible player choices side by side, the iPod models I considered fell short when I factored in price.

I hope that came off as an objective comparison rather than a rebuttal. That's tough to do when sarcastic humor is more my forte.

I'm really still waiting for a large capacity player with a good internet browser. The not yet released Cuwon looks promising. The Apple Touch is a great example of this new feature set combo but it is currently limited to only 32GB and there is a HUGE premium in price for it's nice thin size and (I would argue) novelty.

Again, it all comes back down to 'Just buy whatever makes you he most happy, regardless of how you get there'.

OK, maybe I'm just spewing out rants because I'm currently in a late night phone tag war with a competitor telco. with whom we share a client (long story.) They will just not listen to reason and I refuse to let the customer suffer because of it. Oh, and did I mention, I'm supposed to be on vacation. heh heh. Good thing I have that sense of humor.... Now where is that handgun post again???? ;\)

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #219421 08/29/08 04:05 AM
Then there's me: neither my wife nor I have ever paid more than $150 for an iPod--been lucky, I guess.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #219423 08/29/08 04:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Santa brought mine to me!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #219460 08/29/08 03:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just purchased the 80 GB Zune player (I'm also an anti-I anything) and it's a great MP3 player. Yes 80 GB is a lot but I've already put 40 GB of music, pictures and videos on it and I've only had it for a week. I know it sounds silly to watch a movie on a 3.5 inch screen but when they are documentaries/informative movies and audio is really only necessary it's actually useful.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #219620 09/01/08 09:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys will enjoy this . I had a good laugh.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup