Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kimber 4PR
#2224 03/26/02 07:53 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
hello everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone is using Kimber Kable 4PR for their axiom speakers (m1,2,3,or 22).

Currently, I have the M1's, but will be buying m22's and vp100 for the front when i can afford it. I use a 14 awg twisted pair copper wire that's decent, but i wonder if it will be holding back my m22's or vp100 once i buy them. The wire retails for 3.00$ a foot (according to the sales person) but i only paid $1.50 a foot (looks like it's worth that). It's purple and silver twisted pair, don't know the company name..

Anyway, if anyone is using 4PR, or has compared it to wire somewhat equivalent to mine and has any input, that would be great! thanks.

Re: Kimber 4PR
#2225 03/27/02 01:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Kimber 4PR is a very good cable for speakers. How much would it cost you?

I have experience using AudioQuest Type 4+ and Slate. You should be ablt to get the Typ4+ for around $3/ft and the Slate for around $10/ft. I like both cables.

Regards,
HT_Man

#2226 03/27/02 03:02 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
i can get 50 feet of 4pr for 142$ Canadian.. it's steep for cables, so i'm shopping around. i might also make my own. i'm going to post about that right now.

#2227 03/27/02 04:37 PM
B
B
Speaker cable does make a significant difference in the tonal quality of the music you listen to. The inner twisting of the wire and it's design, causes the current of the signal to be reproduced with more accuracy and dynamic range. The accuracy is much less audible on amplifiers, that are not seperated, electronicaly and physically.All receivers fall into this catagory.
So those who are not using seperate component for amplification will only notice a neglible change in sonic quality.
But if seperate amplifiers are used-and the wire has enough time to break in(40-60 hours)-amazing differences in inner detail and tonal balance is evident.
I defy any person ,in comparion of properly broken-in cables, using the some system, to declare that normal 12 gauage wire is the same as, say Cardas or any other meticulously designed high-end cable.

#2228 03/27/02 05:56 PM
J
regular
regular
J
Cable break in? How does a cable break-in? Sure its not your speakers still breaking in and the rest is in your mind? There are no moving parts like a speaker has....

I would like to see some sound graphs of the same audio material using different quality cables and see if there is a real difference. Nobody would probably ever publish something like that if there was no difference since a lot of cable makers would lose a lot of business.

I can see that there would be a difference in a cheap cable and a good quality cable, expecially with the connectors, soldering, etc.. but myself I have a hard time trying to justify spending hundreds for cables with no proof of better sound......

#2229 03/27/02 06:05 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
cable break in is often referred to as cable burn in, so it might have something to do with the ease of the information to pass through the cable.. i don't have enough experience with cables to say i have heard the difference, but i have spoken to audiophiles who say they have

has anyone here HEARD the same cable, one brand new and one burnt in?

#2230 03/27/02 07:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cable-when placed in a system between a power amplifier and loudspeakers-in my experience-exhibits a very different sound, when new, as compared with a cable that has allowed the information to flow through.
You are listening to the musical information that is transmitted from an amplifier to speakers through an open fluid bridge for that current. This takes some burn-in-as the inner fibers of the cable, congeal, and soften up. This takes at least 40 hours.
A well designed cable costing, with banana plugs, about
$200-300, will improve the qualities of your system-at least 50 percent .
I hope no one sees me as an agent for a cable company-which I am not. Or as an audiophile yuppie wacko- I have personally experienced major changes in my audio system-after buying better cable.
I hope to improve it more, when I get enough cash to buy some of those red-hot Axioms speakers !
See ya!

#2231 03/27/02 09:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would like to know the type of system you are making these determinations with. Also, can you provide the criteria you used to determine "50 percent"?

Also, can you define "open fluid bridge" as I have not heard of this term. Bridges, such as a Wheatstone, are employed for measurement of resistance.

WHile I tend to agree that cables make a difference, and can understand your general premise, I do not understand your arguements. Having spent 2+ decades in the High Tech field as an engineer and self professed audiophile, this subject can be a vary questionable sector of audio.

#2232 03/27/02 10:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are looking for physics in the determining of pleasure in music. I determine it by how much aural information and harmonic resonance reaches my brain and heart through my ears.
A fluid bridge is not a technical term-but a descriptive one.
Sure-cable controversies abound-and I am not expert enough to give you or anybody else-the perfect answer-I only know what I hear.

#2233 03/27/02 10:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was not deriding you because of what you determined by hearing, but wanted to understand the descriptions, technical terms and functions you described. While I have always posted (and believed) that listening is the determing factor, when someone presents ideas, it is a closed mind that ignores them as invalid. I wanted to understand your thoughts and mindsets, with the chance to possibly learn.

Those who know my guiding principles know where I stand one many subjects. My experience has defined many of these. I am the one who pays for my purchases, and I alone determine if it is a quality piece of audio gear - which is your thoughts as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters