Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
MAD MEN!

Can't wait! But I'll always be a day behind.

Re: So what are you watching tonight?
CV #403087 04/14/14 07:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Watched "Captain Phillips" finally. Meh. I knew beforehand the story was "somewhat" inaccurate but it seemed to move painfully slow. Tom Hanks is an incredibly talented actor, but this isn't the first movie of his, imo, that just feels too long and drawn out.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
CV #403108 04/15/14 11:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Agreed Adrian. It could have used some additional editing.

In comparison though, it was not as bad as "All is Lost". 110 minutes of Robert Redford all by himself in a sinking boat with only two lines the whole movie (a mayday and one F-bomb,) should not have been considered feasible no matter how talented the actor.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #403652 04/29/14 09:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't usually watch movies or documentaries about the Nazi party (their cruelty and lack of humanity make me feel sick and despondent and, well, angry). With some trepidation we decided to watch Goering's Last Secret on Netflix last night and was pleasantly surprised to see it was not about Hermann Goering, but about his brother Albert. Without spoiling the documentary for anyone, Albert Goering was the antithesis of his brother or the members of the Nazi party.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #403656 04/30/14 04:47 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Sounds like an interesting one, Adrian. I may have to check that one out.

I just finished another Korean drama last night. My Love From Another Star, as it's called on Hulu. Parts of it were a little slow for me, but the main actress is hilarious. Hopefully I'll see her in some more stuff.

CV #404044 05/10/14 08:11 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
One more Korean drama down. Let's Eat. Lighter fare than some of the others, but still thoughtful with the details. As you'd imagine by the title, there's plenty of eating involved. The close-ups of them chewing and savoring the food accompanied by spare cello music (usually) is pretty great. The auditions for the series had to be entertaining, since those close-up shots are such a prominent part of the show. Ha ha. Solid story revolving around budding friendships. It's mostly sweet and funny, but it does have its drama as well.

Just started another one that my sister recommended called 2 Weeks, so we'll see how it goes. It seems to be more straight up intense drama as opposed to being funny.

I also started re-watching Ranma 1/2 since it just started coming out on Blu-ray. It was my introduction to anime, and I couldn't have asked for a better one. I originally watched the dub, and the English-language voice actors were actually pretty good, and for several of the roles I'm still partial to them. As I re-watch, however, I'm watching in Japanese, sub-titled, because after several seasons of the male voice of Ranma being done by Sarah Strange, who did an incredible job, they switched voice actors, AND I CAN'T STAND THE DIFFERENT VOICE. The Japanese voice doesn't grate on me, so I'll just watch it all in Japanese this time around.

Like a lot of shows from an earlier era, there's an earnestness and innocence to the writing. I think that's probably one the reasons the Korean dramas I've been watching have seemed so refreshing. They haven't been doing it as long as we have, so they're not as self-referential and smartypants.

True, Ranma 1/2 loses itself to formula as the series progresses, and it stopped being made well before it could be concluded, but I still have a great love for the beginning of the series, and the potential it showed me in anime. It wasn't like anything I'd seen, and even now that I've seen quite a lot more of the artform, I'm still impressed by a lot of the creativity in the characters, the storylines, and the animation itself.

I'm not enjoying the second season of Hannibal as much as the first, but it's aight.

Fargo (FX series) is engaging enough so far. I'm eager to see where it goes.

CV #404055 05/10/14 03:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
CV, you are one of the great providers of content here, with quality and frequency as well. Everyone here should thank you for that, and I DO mean it.

OK, now that the nice stuff is outta the way...

Whenever I log on in the morning and I see a bunch of as-yet-unanswered posts that are by the same forum member (as opposed to those multi posts by "new" members with alpha-numeric, case-changing "bot" names that are shilling for golf clubs), I'm beginning to feel that, much like Murph, you are spending too much time here---alone.

If you are OK, great! If, like Murph, you are not, you really should tell someone. And DON'T go to JP! He cannot help normal people with normal problems. He works in a state facility and sees only complete loonies all day long!

If, however, some day you are planning on going out the door to work right after using a "fatty" black marker to draw "plus" signs all over your face neck, hands and arms, and genitalia, then, of course, he's your guy.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #404056 05/10/14 03:57 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Great stuff, as always, Bob.

Originally Posted By: BobKay
If you are OK, great!

I thought the point is that none of us are OK, but that we should try to be OK with not being OK.

CV #404058 05/10/14 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CV

If you are OK, great!

I thought the point is that none of us are OK, but that we should try to be OK with not being OK.

I'm OK with that.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
CV #404063 05/10/14 05:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV

If you are OK, great!

You know, it's thinking like that that'll put psychiatry outta business. Now that's OK if it affects JP and tens of thousands of his kind, but it better not lay a finger on MY shrink(s). If that ever happens, you'll think that I used to be sweet. .....and I'm never, ever goin' back to that big building to live with all of those other people again! This time, I know how to stop them from forcing me to go there.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Page 365 of 434 1 2 363 364 365 366 367 433 434

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters