Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: QS8 Demo Material?
#22411 10/17/03 08:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've seen the trailer in IMAX, and I've got to tell you...wow. The sound is AMAZING.

#22412 10/17/03 11:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I saw reloaded first in regular and later in IMAX. I was much more impressed by the better sound then the bigger screen. Voices are coming from all over the theater in the scene with the architect and all the TVs.

#22413 10/18/03 09:23 AM
old hand
old hand
Daredevil has some good scenes for surround. Another one that's really great is Blade 2.

Aeromos
#22414 10/18/03 01:08 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post an update on how the demo went.

#22415 10/18/03 11:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Gladiator, for sure. The 6.1 sound in that movie is just incredibly nice. I especially love the first big battle scene when all the little fire darts are shooting.

BTW spliffnme I did it as well...

#22416 10/19/03 05:48 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I have never paid close attention to surround use only so many of my suggestions are based more on encompassing sound fields which I am assuming makes used of the surrounds.

x-men 1

When Logan first meets professor X and he is using his telepathic powers, good placement and movement of Patrick Stewarts voice.

Also when Magneto shreds the train to get to Rogue, very good metal fatigue sounds in the rears.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings. The scene at the party in the begining starting with the launching of the firework that goes straight up and explodes into the blue arrows that fall back to earth and fly out from the party across the water and past the camera.

The scene in the mines of moria with the Balrog. When the enter the great hall and all the orcs are coming down from the ceiling and surrounding them.

The staircase scene after that, when the orcs attack and the arrows are flying back and forth.

Star Trek First Contact.

The scene in the begining when the Enterprise opens the audio channel to the fleet to monitor the fight against the Borg. You hear all the radio chatter of the various ships involved but when the Borg override the other signals the rear surrounds really goto work and surround you with the Borg voice.

Much of First Contact has good use of the surrounds mostly when on the Enterprise.

Swordfish.
The opening explosion has spectacular use of the surrounds.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head but ill post more if I can think of any.

Hank

#22417 10/19/03 05:51 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Haha I just noticed it was for Saturday and today is Sunday, sorry my bad.

I enjoyed posting it anyway since I will often sit down with my HT and play many different DVDs just for the good sound on them. It was fun trying to think of some of my favorites.

So much so in fact that I plan on going to doing some listening right now.

Hank

#22418 11/06/03 05:24 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I was hoping that John would post a reply with his impressions before I gave mine...oh, well.

I thought the demo went very well. There were times that John wasn't able to tell where the sound was coming from and had to get up and walk over to the QS8s to listen. He mentioned that he thought sounds were coming from beside him at times (my QS8s are mounted 6 feet behind the viewing area, about 7 feet high). There were other times that he could pinpoint the sound coming from one QS8 or the other. In every case, the speaker performed exactly as it should and he was impressed.

I played the following DVDs:

Lion King
GoldenEye (James Bond)
Gladiator
Lord Of the Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring - Extended Edition
Matrix

Then I played a little multi-channel music:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD)
Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-A)

At the beginning of the mulit-channel version of "Money", the cash register sounds ping-pong from speaker to speaker. John had a big grin on his face during that demo.

John mentioned, before he left, that the QS8s were now at the top of his list for surround speakers.

David

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020