Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Crossover Settings and.. To Audyssey or Not....
HomeDad #226993 10/26/08 10:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't have Audssey so I can't play. \:\(

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #227009 10/26/08 11:29 PM
shareholder in the making
I have an old receiver with Bass and Treble knobs. I leave them in the middle, but my kids like to tweak them.

pmbuko #227027 10/27/08 12:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
\:D It must make for some interesting effects when you forget to check adjstments before playing music.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #227037 10/27/08 01:45 AM
I don't want my sound "fuller".

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #227067 10/27/08 04:38 AM
You kids and yer fancy calibration jimjams and whoozits.. Why, when I was your age, I was happy to listen to a can on a string attached to a cactus needle that we rubbed against a rock! Good enough for us, should be good enough for you. Carnsarnit! Get off my lawn!

This moment brought to you by a relatively small glass of Unibroue 17.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #227079 10/27/08 11:22 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I prefer the sound with Audssey off.

Dave
DaveG #227095 10/27/08 12:36 PM
old hand
old hand
I just set up a Denon AVR-789 (1909) that has Audyssey MultiEQ,
Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. When running the MultiEQ setup
the suggestion is to set the sub volume to the mid point and
turn off the LPF. My result was everything sounded flat/ muted
and the bass was very boomy, didn't like it. Now back to good
old manual SPL meter setup. I would like to try the Audyssey
again to get the Dynamic Vol capability, but need to find other
Axiom users who have had good success and how they did it.

M80s,VP150,EP500,QS8(4)
JonHan #227098 10/27/08 01:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I also have it off but I expect it has a lot to do with a particular room and speaker combination. It may solve some nasty troubles for some and create abnormalities for others. Every room is unique and fidgeting is fun. So keep experimenting and let us know what sounds best to you.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
JonHan #227106 10/27/08 01:50 PM
local
local
 Originally Posted By: JonHan
I just set up a Denon AVR-789 (1909) that has Audyssey MultiEQ,
Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. When running the MultiEQ setup
the suggestion is to set the sub volume to the mid point and
turn off the LPF. My result was everything sounded flat/ muted
and the bass was very boomy, didn't like it. Now back to good
old manual SPL meter setup. I would like to try the Audyssey
again to get the Dynamic Vol capability, but need to find other
Axiom users who have had good success and how they did it.

You may have had your sub too loud to start. What was trim set for the sub after running Audyssey? Did you use a tripod? Close to the wall? There are a few things that can cause bad results.

I am extremely pleased with my results after running MultEQ XT on my Onkyo 705. I have M60s, VP150, 4 QS8s, and an SVS PB12 Ultra/2. The bass is not boomy, nor is it non existent It is there when it is supposed to be and very powerful when it needs to be.

Last edited by dewd; 10/27/08 01:51 PM.
dewd #227356 10/28/08 09:20 PM
veteran
veteran
How many listening positions did you use in your Audyssey calibaration?

I recently did the $100 upgrade and then reran Audyssey with either 5 or 6 listening positions. It worked much better this time than when I first purchased my 3808.

I like the sound with Audyssey turned off fine but the sound in my room is much better with it on, after the latest upgrade and running audyssey again.

After the upgrade you will have new setting you can use.

The Dynamic EQ, you can turn on some music and then turn in On and Off and see how you like it best.

Also the Dynamic Volume is pretty nice. You can turn it off or on using Midnight, Evening or Day. When watching something at night and not wanting to disturb anyone trying to sleep I find this feature very nice.

Oh yeah, I run my crossovers at Fronts - mostly 60 but sometimes 40, center - 90, surrounds 90 and sub 80 because as someone mentioned above, you don't too much coming out of the sub as to notice it's part of the system. Great sounding bass without being able to tell where it is coming from is what you want.

If you think the volume is too low just hit the button on the remote that shows the levels onscreen and bump 'em all up a bit.

When I first upgraded to new speakers, sub, BD and 3808 I agonized over all this stuff until everyone told me to just play with everything until it sounds best to me. If your levels are low and you think -18 is too high to have to run it then just raise the levels \:\) If you look through some old posts you'll probably see me driving people crazy with all kinds of questions. They finally got me to take a deep breath and "play" with everything.

If you completely screw everything up you just rerun your Audyssey and start again.

The $100 upgrade did quite a bit for my sound, probably because of upgraded Audyssey stuff, not sure, but doing the FW upgrade that had to be done before you could apply the Feature upgrade hosed my HDMI connection from my Cox cable box, Scientific Atlanta 8300. Been running fine for months but after the upgrade I noticed my 56" Samsung had a small picture, not an edge to edge Hi Def picture I've always had. Cox box showed 480. If I turned off the Denon and cable box, turned on cable box it would aquire a 1080i signal. I then would turn on the Denon and have edge to edge hi def again, until I changed channels then it would bounce back to a small picture and say 480. Denon said "the upgrade had nothing to do with that". Very nicely I explained that my entire system had worked perfectly together for months, even after a previous Denon firmware ugrade and the problem started at the very instance the latest firmware upgrade finished. You know, the old "we'll just say it couldn't be us" and the customer is stuck with it. I finally just removed the HDMI from cable to denon and replaced with component cables. Now I have my high def back 100% of the time. It seems something they did to the HDMI handshaking caused the problem. Actually the first denon rep named 'Paul' tried to argue with me and then when he told me he would transfer me to another rep, he hung up on me. Went back on hold for another 25 minutes and the next rep "Kevin" was respectful but neither was really very good at what they were supposed to be doing. I've enjoyed my denon so far but I'll probably look for a different brand with a better service reputation when I upgrade again.

Last edited by edmondwolfman; 10/28/08 10:00 PM.

"Real Gun Control Is Hitting What You Aim At" - can't remember
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,048 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup