AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
2 registered (chesseroo, Joe_in_SC), 62 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13303 Members
11 Forums
22841 Topics
403590 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17751
pmbuko 16267
SirQuack 13321
CV 11160
MarkSJohnson 10848
Meanwhile On Facebook

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Got your new In-Ceiling speakers yet? #atmosready http://axiomaudio.com/m3-in-c...

(y) Can't wait for the next evolution of surround sound to go mainstream!

Pre-order our new in-ceiling speakers and save 25%! Offer ends August 11th.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#227975 - 11/01/08 05:18 AM Audyssey set up thread
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Just hought I would bring this to the attention of the many owners of Audyssey equiped avr's we have here. This is a link to a post in the Audyssey thread at avsforum and deals with setting up Audyssey.

Link

My HT

#227983 - 11/01/08 09:13 AM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: jakewash]
Joe_in_SC Online   content
devotee

Loc: Charleston, SC
Thanks, that's an excellent article. When I first got my receiver, I used Audyssey to set things up. I wasn't really thrilled with the results, so after some recent posts here I turned it off and liked the sound much better. Now I'm thinking that I should reconsider and spend the time to tweak the Audyssey settings a bit more.

If I run Audyssey, then use Room EQ Wizard, would it be as simple as going back into the receiver equalizer settings and adjusting the appropriate frequency sliders?
Algonquins

#227995 - 11/01/08 01:26 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: Joe_in_SC]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have been thinking about re-running audyssey here as well.. thanks for the link.

#228004 - 11/01/08 03:48 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: terzaghi]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
I will definitely be running Audyssey again, because I'm assuming that I might have got undesirable results placing the microphone on my sofa with the wall directly behind it causing additional reflections which is stated not to do-"If the seat back is a few inches behind the microphone, this will cause additional reflections". I don't imagine this will cure my LFE problems, but making the other recommended subwoofer adjustments just might.

Maybe someone could post their results after rerunning Audyssey.

Thanks for the link!

#228037 - 11/01/08 10:12 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: Joe_in_SC]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Joe, if what you mean is that you'd run the Audyssey room EQ and then run the REW with the expectation of using its results to "tweak" the Audyssey EQ with the receiver's manual equalization settings, that can't be accomplished. The Audyssey EQ is entirely separate from the rather simple manual EQ provision and they can't be used together. It's either using the Audyssey EQ results or turning those off and using the relatively crude manual settings(or no EQ).

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#228038 - 11/01/08 10:19 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: JohnK]
Joe_in_SC Online   content
devotee

Loc: Charleston, SC
Thanks John, that's what I was referring to. I didn't realize they were discrete settings. I'm going to give Audyssey another try tomorrow and see if I can get some better results.
Algonquins

#228107 - 11/02/08 01:16 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: Joe_in_SC]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
John,

The 3808 allows you to “copy curve”. What all is included in that curve, I do not know. I believe it’s only seven points along the graph and all Audyssey filters are removed. I tried this function for a while but there was something missing, no matter how much I tweaked it. As I’ve stated elsewhere, I use Audyssey, but I have the L/R bypassed, and I also bump up the center channel 2 DB over all others. I run the LFE pretty close to where the room calibration left it, but I always use the meter and set LFE as close to an average as I can get of 5 DB over the remaining channels (with a 3 DB ave over the center).

One thing I notice with Audyssey active, is bass and LFE seams more enveloping as if I was in the middle of it. When I disable Audyssey, the bass and LFE is more directional. Obviously, my room and my personal preferences are different from anyone else. That is why I always encourage others to give it a try before following the herd that has decided Audyssey is junk.

#228131 - 11/02/08 05:02 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: michael_d]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: mdrew
John,

I run the LFE pretty close to where the room calibration left it, but I always use the meter and set LFE as close to an average as I can get of 5 DB over the remaining channels (with a 3 DB ave over the center).

Could you please explain how you do this, I'm going to try to recalibrate Audyssey tomorrow.

Thanks

#228149 - 11/02/08 08:14 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Nevermind, I read the post again and realized that it was a silly question that I already knew the answer to.

#228157 - 11/02/08 09:43 PM Re: Audyssey set up thread [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
Hansang Offline
aficionado

Loc: New York
Read the FAQ on AVS on how to calibrate your Audyssey. For example, after taking the first reading, check your LFE (sub) trims. i.e. let it calculate after the first reading to check out where Audyssey set the trims to. Use the sub's volume to try and bring it down to zero as possible.

Also, I used six instead of the prescribed 8 locations and the sound is incredibly good. And if you turn on Dynamic EQ, WOW!!! what a difference that (feature upgrade) makes. It took me about 4 or 5 different Audyssey runs before I nailed it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.