Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Thanks for Visiting my Home Theater Micah!
Micah #250948 03/09/09 04:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
The music played flat as a ruler across the entire bandwidth spectrum.

I'm trying to picture you sitting there waiting for the music to begin, ruler 'at the ready'. ;\)

Even in a less-than-ideal room, you can tell that these speakers play very clean. I would love to listen to an EP800.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #250952 03/09/09 04:44 PM
shareholder in the making
Dave, I hope you're not hoping for an experience like that when you listen to my M80s! ;\)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #250953 03/09/09 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
No, Ken, he's looking for an even BETTER experience...not to put any pressure on you or anything.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Micah #250956 03/09/09 04:57 PM
devotee
devotee
You might generally have more trouble with room tuning in a big empty room without a lot of furniture. I have my system integrated into a larger apartment room with a lot of stuff everywhere. (couch, recliner, blankets, rug, etc.) I've almost never heard "too harsh." (unless you want to put in a really old movie and crank that up)

It's amazing what the difference is between a properly powered speaker like the m80 is at high volumes and other systems not built for full volumes. Like say turning your tv speakers up to max, blech... our neighbor does this. Also lots of restaurants that play music by turning up boom box speakers really loud, ouch.

It seems like often the parts of the higher volumes you can't stand are the distortion, the clipping, case rattle and overall shrillness. On the flip side, if your amp and rig can keep up with big dynamic changes.. wow. I find movies have the power to startle me more now. Jumping from dialogue to full explosions or a window shattering, etc. It's pretty amazing.

Ken.C #250961 03/09/09 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Dave, I hope you're not hoping for an experience like that when you listen to my M80s! ;\)

Haha, I never thought of it that way... Steve has really raised the bar on GTG's hasn't he. From here on out whenever someone invites a guest over to hear Axiom's for the first time, there's going to be a lot of expectations to meet after reading about my trip to Steve's Axiom kingdom!!!

Ah it's no big deal really. I mean besides the $7000 dollars worth of Axiom speakers he has, he probably only has like $15 - $20,000 dollars wrapped up in his room. No pressure.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
myrison #251222 03/11/09 08:24 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
 Originally Posted By: myrison
Steve, I've experienced this as well and according to Ian it's something that needs to be tweaked with the timing algorithm in the DSP. I believe what you are hearing is actually the driver "bottoming out" not conflicting with the wires inside or any other obstruction.

You only notice it at very high volumes and on scenes with extreme bass ("The Pulse" server room scene will bring it out quite clearly). It's quite rare to hear this because it requires a combination of very high volume and very deep bass, but it sounds like they're working this in future code revisions as well. Even if they don't it's not that big of a deal to me, but it is on the Axiom radar from what I understand.

JC told me that the amplifier in my replacement is updated to fix this issue. The thump is still there when switching off, and he said that I'll still get another amplifier once they've resolved that to their satisfaction.

CV #251259 03/11/09 03:36 PM
SRoode Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
That's good to know CV, thanks for the info. I heard it will still be several weeks before we get the replacement amps.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
Micah #251278 03/11/09 04:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Micah
I wanted to briefly discuss some interesting aspects of Steve's system. Like he pointed out before while we were listening to the music/movies we were listening to it at 100+ db's for most of the audition. But had Steve not had an SPL meter right in front of my face I may not have believed it! This isn't a knock on his set-up or his room in any way mind you, it's just that the music was so clean and free of any distortion what-so-ever that the volume was very deceiving. The only time I would really notice how loud it actually was, was when I would start to mention something to Steve and I couldn't hear myself talk even though I was practically screaming at him!!! \:o

Steve (or Micah),
What was Steve powering his system with? If a single AVR, which? Or what combo of AVR or pre/pro with added separates.

Thanks,
PS. Steve, has your wife been calling you saying Axiomites keep showing up on your doorstep? \:D

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Ken.C #251281 03/11/09 05:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

WHAAAAAT! I was hoping M80's were magical and transformed any listening environment, even if powered 30 year old 25w Heathkit amp. Say it is so! ;\)

Originally Posted By: Adrian
No, Ken, he's looking for an even BETTER experience...not to put any pressure on you or anything.

Adrian, come on now, Ken is very generously volunteering his time to help out (a soon to be) fellow Axiomite. I will certainly 'settle' for a roughly similar audio experience that Micah had at Steve's. So Ken, no pressure at all, no worries, I am keeping my expectations realistic... \:D

Seriously though, since I am considering upgrading from my 1909, I am very curious what level of AVR teams with the given Axiom to create the given SQ. I'd LOVE to think (dream?) Steve had a 2808 to create such SQ at 100dB. Of course if he had a 1909 , that would be best. LOL If he had a 3808, that would still be good to hear. Any AVR or pre/pro with a stack of separates... Say it ain't so, Steve, say it ain't so!

Last edited by davekro; 03/11/09 05:03 PM. Reason: SP

Dave

StuntGibbon #251286 03/11/09 05:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: StuntGibbon
It's amazing what the difference is between a properly powered speaker like the m80 is at high volumes and other systems not built for full volumes.

...if your amp and rig can keep up with big dynamic changes.. wow.

Subject: It's all about me (now that we are clear on that...;o)

I know 'properly powered' is not a black and white answer. But this is the crux of what I am trying to discern in my consideration of if and how many dollars, required to invest (level of AVR) to get a similar sound as Micah heard at Steve's. I fully understand, the power Steve is supplying may well be way out of my affordability to performance ratio (damned separates!!).

It is, of course, a very subjective judgment. But being that Micah has described, to my limited knowledge, a very good SQ experience, I'd love to hear others describe how they feel their AVR to SQ compares to what Micah has described. Just for the sake of this discussion, if you'll allow, the scale would be, Micah's description as, say a '10' and say the cheapest/oldest 5.1 AVR as a '1'. Also, for my selfish purposes, if we could limit this AVR level discussion to powering M80's or M60's (including 5.1/7.1 with 2/4 QS8's would be helpful too). Also include the room size your evaluation relates too. For (all about) me, relating to room size of 31x23, 6,000 sq' would be much appreciated. I don't know if it will be easy to separate attachment to our own set ups, in trying to be as objective in our subjective judgments, but that would be the goal. \:\)

Again, this is a totally selfish request for information! But there may be one or two other 'learners' who would benefit from a discussion of AVR level to SQ. Of course, that would be tertiary to my own selfishness... but whatever. ;\)

I guess, hoping not to color the opinions but to be more specific, my actual (selfish) question is: Your opinion of where on the 1-10 scale desribed would the 1909, 2809, 3808 rank, given MY conditions.

PS. I am fully ready to be bombarded with reply starting out: "Dave, Dave, Dave... \:\( "

Last edited by davekro; 03/11/09 05:49 PM. Reason: PS

Dave

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617