Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: System for my Pops...
#25237 11/12/03 04:01 AM
local
local
"It seems like your dad needs to stand up to the lady and grow some balls."

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

That's classic.

On a side note, I must be the luckiest man in the world because my wife is supremely understanding about all my hobbies. As long as I'm honest and discuss things with her, she's open to just about anything. Including the Denon5900.

I suppose it helps that I've always been careful to be overly honest so neither of us were in for any surprises post wedding day.

But here, or with friends in "real" life it never ceases to amaze me some of the things I hear out of men about their wives. I wonder sometimes why they ever got married.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#25238 11/12/03 04:11 AM
old hand
old hand
If your dad primarily wants the HT setup for TV and/or movies, then the Axiom sub should be ok but if he likes good music then have him go with an Hsu or SVS. This advice comes to you from personal experience when I did not listen to the advice on this M.B. so I got the EP-175 and it was ok for movies but was "muddy" with music (classical, jazz, country, and/or rock). I ended up with the Hsu VTF-2 for the exact same price) and returned the Axiom. I love the rest of the Axiom line, but IMO their sub's are sub(standard). Axiom should OEM the Hsu's or the SVS subs. BTW, Hsu is in Anaheim.

#25239 11/12/03 09:02 AM
ZeN Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks all for your ideas - here comes one massive reply to cover it all (ish)

In reply to:

Yea, I agree with Hawkson101: get an SVS, or alternatively a Hsu (but Hsu's seem to be a bit more costly per performance.) I haven't ever heard an HSU sub so I cant be of any help suggesting which.

While you and I would totally agree on this, she wont have any of it. Just to get an idea of what we are dealing with She is mad at the thought of having anything other than the TV speakers...

In reply to:

Just because the walls are not wired does not mean you can not have wired surrounds. Heck, it is very easy to run the wire under the floorboard along the carpet, if you do not want to see wire. That is how my room is, and I have wire snaked under the carpet where doorways are.

Crossed this bridge - got nowhere. She refuses to have anything run under the carpet, refuses to have it run along the walls, (amazingly bitchy - man I don’t dislike many people...) and there is no attic (vaulted 25ft ceiling). The basement on the other hand might just work. Its an unfinished and open "play room" for BBQ's and what not, I hadn’t thought of running it under the floor.

In reply to:

How much bass does he want/need? There are always the smaller subs from Hsu...but no small sub will put out what your SVS does.
Might be time that you and I get the our subs together so you can hear the differences. And since you have a truck.......

He absolutely LOVED the sound of my SVS with the M80's - he literally sat there and listened to some of his favorite Taj Mahal tracks with his mouth agape for 15-20 min - it was beautiful

Yeah, I'd love to compare them some time. I really need to stop working so hard and have a life - this no life stuff sucks

In reply to:

Although most of us here seem to agree that the Hsu or SVS subs are sonically superior, it is true that an Axiom sub may well get considerably higher WAF, with its finish perfectly coordinated with the main speakers -- yes, even with the grills off.

Exactly - in her perfect world, they have no TV - and some invisible source of music. When we showed her my SVS she about died. I think my Dad can push something like the Axiom - its smaller, looks better, and can be placed below eye line (as opposed to the 39" SVS )

In reply to:

Also, why is he not allowed to wire inside the walls for the speakers, that would be much more acceptable for the WAF. She seems to me to not understand that good wireless speakers do not exist. They can be bought, but they suck and have terrible distortion that makes them sound like AM radio. Since QS8's mount up directly to the wall, the wire would never be seen by anyone. It seems like your dad needs to stand up to the lady and grow some balls.

You have no idea how right you are snippy - btw, my dad's balls were snipped long ago - I'd say the day they were married. Sometimes I think he is a happy_thoughtless _eunuch now -- My how the mighty have fallen

In reply to:

If your dad primarily wants the HT setup for TV and/or movies, then the Axiom sub should be ok but if he likes good music then have him go with an Hsu or SVS. This advice comes to you from personal experience when I did not listen to the advice on this M.B. so I got the EP-175 and it was ok for movies but was "muddy" with music (classical, jazz, country, and/or rock). I ended up with the Hsu VTF-2 for the exact same price) and returned the Axiom. I love the rest of the Axiom line, but IMO their sub's are sub(standard). Axiom should OEM the Hsu's or the SVS subs. BTW, Hsu is in Anaheim.

Thanks Audiobob - I might try to push the HSU or SVS box subs - they can be painted to match the walls or covered with a white girly cloth thing

Thanks to you all for the feedback. I will try to push her around a little and help my dad resurrect his nads - wish me luck

#25240 11/12/03 08:58 PM
devotee
devotee
I do not know if this got lost with everything else I wrote, but SVS now has colored box subs. They have white and other colors that may match the walls. So maybe they may be worth a try for WAF. Here is the link:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb1_isd_colors.htm

Enjoy!

#25241 11/12/03 09:34 PM
veteran
veteran
How int he hell can someone be against havign the wire hidden under the floorboard/carpet?

#25242 11/12/03 10:28 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Geez, Zen, glad you're back. I didn't realize how boring we'd gotten without a little family audio intrigue!

Find a time when she (or both her and your dad) are gone and just do it. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Use the basement option.

Be unfailingly nice, even when she's unreasonable. It will confuse her.

And take your Dad to "Spines R Us" on the way home sometime.

Good luck, buddy. Let us know how you make out.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#25243 11/12/03 10:38 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Masa,
I just realized that I didn't notice the wires to the surround speakers when I was at your place yet there are race tracks up from the floor. How the heck did you get those wires to the back wall?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#25244 11/12/03 10:39 PM
local
local
Aint that the truth. Bitter people (and she sounds bitter about something) hate when you're sincerely nice to them. Unless you're doing it sarcastically, you've effectively given them no easy ammo and they tend to fold.

Personally I can't imagine marrying someone like that...let alone acting that way.

Peace and love!

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#25245 11/12/03 10:43 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

She seems to me to not understand that good wireless speakers do not exist

She doesn't seem to understand nor care much at all about what good audio is! Try to get her involved in the good sound part of it.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#25246 11/13/03 12:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike,

The wires goes around the room through the same raceways placed just above the base moulding, along the wall facing the backyard. Most visitors just don't see them.

In fact, the raceways contain the S-video and component video cables to the projector, in addition to the 12-awg surround speaker cables.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters