Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hybrid amps with Axiom M60v2s
CV #260591 05/16/09 11:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: CV
Just to play devil's advocate, the only problem I have with that research is that they coach people on what constitutes good sound quality. I'm just wondering how different the results would be without instructing people on what to listen for.

In a true double blind test there would be no information given to participants nor there would be any interaction between the experimenter and participants. The goal is to create an unbiased testing environment as possible to ensure accurate results/minimize error/bias or any other anomalies.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #260592 05/16/09 11:52 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
From Axiom's page About the Research:

Quote:
As long as listeners had a few hours of training on what to listen for ("fat" emphasized bass, strident harsh treble, muffled midrange, narrow "boxy" colorations and the like), they ranked good speakers "good" and bad speakers "bad".

CV #260596 05/17/09 12:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Training is important, otherwise they could have classified good speakers "bad" and bad speakers "good"... Hm... how was first determined which of the speakers were supposed to be the good ones and which the bad ones? \:\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #260598 05/17/09 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I understand CV point now. Both are valid IMO \:\) . Say one study with 10 random joes/jills as participants vs 10 industry professionals in the other for example. What would the results show then?

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #260619 05/17/09 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I suppose, as with many audio tests, one needs a reference point of some kind. Some people prefer bass heavy music and therefore say a "fat" sounding speaker is "normal" or perhaps someone who prefers classical type music might prefer hearing a more "forward" or detailed sound ect. I guess if the test is done with enough participants, either way there should be an overall census on what sounds "right".
I tend to discount any review or opinion that is too over-the-top or one that is very underwhelming.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
MarkSJohnson #260641 05/17/09 09:59 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Which is more pleasing is up to the individeual listener but which is more accurate is measurable.

but most people measure straight up frequency response into a machine load and THD without any understanding of why this doesn't translate 100% into what we hear when it's driving a real speaker.

pmbuko #260671 05/18/09 11:58 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Keep in mind that Axiom's design philosophy of striving for accuracy is based on a lot of research -- especially double blind listening tests -- that points to the conclusion that pretty much everyone finds accurate sound to be the most pleasing.

I can tell you that I preferred my brother-in-laws Jolida 302 tube amp with my Axiom M60s to my Denon 1804 solid state. I borrowed the tube amp for about three months. I rarely listen to music louder than about 85-90 decibels, so it is not a matter of pushing either amp to the point of clipping. The Jolida seemed to give the music more depth and fullness. I did not do any double blind tests so discredit my findings if you wish. Upon going back to the solid state amp, I found that preferred the tube sound. The only way that you will know whether you like the tube sound is to listen to one yourself.

CV #260770 05/19/09 02:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi CV, Edmondwolfman, and all,

Interesting discussion, and I think a few comments are appropriate. Until recently, there has been very little controlled double-blind testing of trained versus untrained listeners in loudspeaker listening tests. As many regulars on the forums know, I participated for years doing double-blind listening tests of various speakers (for magazines I was editor of) at the National Research Council in Ottawa, Canada. Indeed there was a training period for all regular members of the listening panel so we could quickly zero in on such speaker colorations as "fat" bass and other anomalies.

In recent years, however, acoustical scientist Sean Olive (who was finishing his graduate work at the NRC under Floyd Toole when I was on various listening panels) conducted an elaborate study using 300 untrained and trained listeners at the Harman acoustical facility, which is a more elaborate setup than the NRC's listening room. What's fascinating about the results is that essentially the untrained listeners' ratings of good and bad (accurate and non-linear or inaccurate speakers) nicely tracked the ratings of the trained listeners. The major difference was that the trained listeners gave lower scores overall than the untrained listeners.

You can read the study in greater detail at Sean Olive's blogspot and download the study for free here:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/download.cfm?ID=12206&name=harman

I'd also point out that tube amplifiers do not necessarily sound different from solid-state amplifiers (except when pushed beyond their output limits into distortion). Tube amplifiers can be well designed for linear smooth frequency response and low distortion. In one double-blind test of amplifiers at the NRC in which I participated, there was a large tube MacIntosh amplifier that measured flat and had low distortion. No-one on the panel was able to distinguish it from a number of other solid-state amplifiers during the tests.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #260774 05/19/09 02:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for that info Alan, that is a very interesting study.

-Max Payne
alan #260776 05/19/09 03:51 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Thanks, Alan! I'll have to read it later, but I look forward to it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup